1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Temp. Issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BigBlue, Dec 5, 2007.

1. BigBlue

BigBlue Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am having some real issues with the temp of my tank. During the I like to keep my tank at about 80 and at night about 80 to79.
    Well here is my problem during the day I leave my fans on to keep my lights cool and that drops my temp down to about 75.  At night if I shut my  fans off  then the halide I have on my sump heats the tank up to about 83. I can't seem to figuer out how to keep my at the right temp.
    Any help would be great.
    Thanks.

2. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Do you have any kind of a controller?

3. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Easiest solution would be to put a fan on your sump. Do you have the sump in a stand? If so, is it well ventilated? If you don't have a controller, I would use timers to turn your fan on and during the day to keep your from dopping so low.

I could also see it being a problem for your corals when your temp swings about 8 degrees a day.

4. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Switch out the MH fuge light. Overkill anyway and basically a little space heater under your tank. Most people run screw in CF or PC for fuges.

5. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    All good idea ideas that should solve your problem. If your main halides don't heat the tank up why run them. I bought fans but never install them because my temp never goes above 79.5 and rarely above 79.

6. BigBlue

BigBlue Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well unfortunately I don't have a controlle. So what I think I'm going to to do is leave the fans off and see if it heats up my tank or not. I'm also going to take off the metal halide on the sump. I well see what that does then I will get back with you guys.
    Thanks for all the input.

7. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You say fans several times, can you disconnect one of them and leave the other if you have multiple?

8. BigBlue

BigBlue Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well I left my fans off and my tank warmed up to about 81. The only bad thing is when my halides went off I noticed that my actinics were off. So when I opened my hood it was like opening a stove. So I missed with the bulbs and all I could do was get them to flicker. I'm going to wait for the lights to cool down and see if they still work.
    Well one problem solved and another one to figure out.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Smaller fans? Single fan? Are you growing corals in the refugium?

10. BigBlue

BigBlue Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No I'm not growing coral in my refugium. Thats why I took my metal halide off of my sump.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I must have skipped over that part.

12. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sounds to me like you need a bigger heater, or maybe something is wrong with its thermostat.

13. BigBlue

BigBlue Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well I guess I can't leave my fans off all day. I got home to day and  my tank was up to 83.

14. BigBlue

BigBlue Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well I hooked my fans up to a timer so hopefully this will help.