1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

target kill zoas?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by calebjk, Aug 16, 2008.

1. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have this rock with 3 types of zoas on it, 2 are cool and one is big, ugly, and taking over the rock. I'd like to eliminate the nuisance zoas w/o killing to many of the nice zoas that are around them.
    I'v tried picking them off of the rock, but then you just get 2 growing back.
    Here is a pic of the zoas, the ones i'd like to be rid of is the extremely rare "red X" zoas.
    [​IMG]
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    ~caleb

2. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    turn the pumps off and cover them with a thin layer of kalk paste

3. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    You don't like those Zoa's?

Those red X's in the center of them are cool... /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/tongue.gif

4. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I dont have red X's on mine,

Do u add a lot of iodine to your tank ?

5. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    you've tried picking them off with tweezers and it didnt work? my advice would be to keep at it, and as soon as you see them growing back, pluck them again.

Those purple/ alien eye zoas are sweet!

6. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By lee on 08/16/2008 10:08 PM
    you've tried picking them off with tweezers and it didnt work? my advice would be to keep at it, and as soon as you see them growing back, pluck them again.

Those purple/ alien eye zoas are sweet!I guess i could try a combo of both picking and kalk paste. that should probably do the trick. thanks for the compliment on the zoas, i'm always trying to diversify and have really cool stuff, so if anyone wants to trade frags, i'd be open to it.
    thank you for the ideas.

7. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    if you can pick them off. i will take them if you don't know what to do with them

8. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would try chiseling them out or even better yet put a frag rock next to the ones you want to keep, collect a few and send the rock with the "ugly" ones to me... /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif It is a win win...

Seriously though. Cut them out with a rzor blade or chisel them out before risking the kalk paste. Kalk paste works, but can screw things up very easily also if done wrong.

9. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You know it may not be a bad idea to keep the ugly ones. Think of it like two average looking girls going to the club for the night. Before they get to the club they always stop and pick up their below average looking friend to make themselves look better. Those ugly zoos may be what really makes the others "pop". :p

10. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Good one Travis, lol[​IMG]

But really not bad advice, I'd try allthe above!