1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Tapatalk

Discussion in 'Website Items, Issues & Feedback' started by JB, Jan 30, 2013.

1. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Private messages are still on my radar, but I've had to table it for now.

Technically, the Tapatalk Level 4 API should work great with our private messaging system. Unfortunately, few (if any) of the Tapatalk clients currently support the Level 4 API. Unfortunately, they all still use the Level 3 API which does not support threaded messaging.

I had a conversation about this with one of the people at Tapatalk and he claimed that the clients will be upgraded soon to support the new API features. Until that happens, we won't have PM support through the client.

2. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    JB, I love how you talk about this like any of us have a clue what "API" and "client" mean, let alone the difference between Levels. LOL

3. Andy The Reef Guy

Andy The Reef Guy Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know what client means. But to me API is "Aquarium Pharmaceutical Industry" lol

4. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    API = Application Programming Interface

/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/smile.gif

5. Nemesis

Nemesis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry , if this has been asked or answered Jb.
    Does the pm not work for us right now. I tried to send one in the app and it just flickers but does send it. Just curious if its a glitch on my end.
    Thanks for all your hard work .
    Erick

6. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Dude, look back like 5 posts, one of mine followed by one of JBs just last week.

7. Nemesis

Nemesis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My bad sorry. Thanks though

8. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Encoded character problems on android again.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  9. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Encoded character problems with new version of tapatalk as well.
    4 Beta

10. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Any progress with getting the encoded issue fixed?

11. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    New problem. Tapatalk 2 on iOS7 doesn't work at all

12. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    No, but I haven't really tried. It isn't quite "programming season" for me yet. The weather isn't cold enough.

And for the record, I didn't change anything, so they definitely messed with the apps on their end. I'm shocked that their system is as popular is it is given their knack for poor design in their API's.

13. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I don't know why iOS7had anything to do with it, TT2 was working fine with GIRS, it just threw in the ampersand number ; at every double space and odd character, like they changed the was a character set is interpreted or something. Now it comes back saying there was a server error, but that might have been after a TT2 update and I just didn't go to GIRS before upgrading to iOS7. Which BTW totally hosed my iPhone 4 8GB and now I can't type unless i like waiting 7 seconds between screen responses. Lucky for me, I know someone with Apple security clearance higher than anyone at any Genius bar and he can revert me to iOS6

14. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I just tried Tapatalk and Tapatalk Pro (which I guess used to be Tapatalk 2) on my iPhone 4S which is running iOS 7. Other than the character encoding issue, they both seem to work fine.

If you haven't done so already, I'd try doing a hard reboot on your phone. I've had issues like that before and a hard reboot often does the trick.

Anyone with a iOS developer account should be able to downgrade your phone if you really want to do that, but I wouldn't recommend it. I don't see any real performance difference between iOS 6 and 7. There are definitely a few things about it that I don't like as much as 6, but I like a lot of the enhancements.

15. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    That's because youre running a 4S. On my 8GB 4, when I start typing it makes it about 3 characters in then I keep typing and about 7 seconds later it catches up to all my typing and then freezes again, 7 seconds later it catches up then freezes, if I stop typing and have to backspace or hold to eyeglass on an error when I take my finger off there is a 7 second pause, then again when I make the correction (7 s) then when I tap the end of the sentence to begin again (7s). If I double space to end a sentence it locks caps and then I when it catches up 7 s later it drops the cap lock, then I have to correct, etc. You get the idea.

Bottom line, DO NOT UPGRADE TO iOS7 IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING LESS THAN AN iPHONE 4S

16. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0

Oh yeah, and this typing function goes for ANYTHING you need to type - text, tapatalk, safary, google maps, EVERYTHING. Also I have hard rebooted 6 times.

17. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Just for the record, I used an iPhone 4 today with iOS 7 at work and didn't have the same experience It wasn't lightning fast, but it was completely usable. It was my bosses phone and from what I could tell, he seemed pretty happy with iOS 7. I don't think Apple would make the OS available on a device that wasn't generally capable of running it in an acceptable manner, and what you're describing isn't acceptable.

18. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Got it fixed. Had to shut off Documents & Data under iCloud. Fix for this should be out with iOS 7.0.1 according to my source. This message sent with lightning fast fingers and no freeze delay from my iPhone 4!!

19. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Good deal! Figured it had to be something weird like that...

20. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Yeah and good thing because I really like iOS7