1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Help!! Tank Weight

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deleted member 1172, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Deleted member 1172

Deleted member 1172 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Calling out to those with a little more knowledge about building construction and floor load bearing than myself. I just bought a house and want to set up a 75 gallon tank on my main floor. The location will be in a spare bedroom that we are using for an office. The wall I want to set it up against is an exterior wall and will be so that the floor joists are perpendicular to the tank. Mine and my fiance's house was built in 2013 with engineered (particle board, yay.... not a firefighter's first pick, but you get what you can get!) floor joists. I'm not sure how wide they are off the top of my head. Regardless, will the floor have any issues holding the tank?

2. Hunter

Garner
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    No you will not have any issue.

3. Barrett

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    You will be fine

4. Deleted member 1172

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Fantastic, thank you! First time home owner, always had apartments that I either lived on a concrete slab or didn't have an aquarium (vivariums aren't heavy). Definitely a little paranoid! Especially when my better half isn't huge on my having a tank anyway! lol

5. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    75 isn't going to be any issue at all.

6. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    You did everything right regarding perpendicular position to the joists and against an exterior wall. As others posted, you'll be OK. Just don't have a dance party in the same room.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Deleted member 1172

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks you guys!

You know, it's going to be a pretty hefty sacrifice not to have a dance party in there, but I think I can do it... ;)

8. abower Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ryan, Ia
    Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    If the stand has feet or if you plan to shim make sure they are positioned on the joist. The sheeting will flex over time.

9. Waterrat41 Addicted Reefer GIRS Member

Des moines
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -0
    c'mon man!, I set up a 90 in my'n n' my wife's 1919 house and it's all good!...:)

10. JS

Clutier, IA
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Those engineered joists have a a high load rating, dry osb is very strong. Be very careful if there is a flood though. As you pointed out with the fire problems they pose with burning through faster than solid wood. Under less than ideal circumstances they break down quickly.

If you do have a major water event, I'd move that tank to a different part of the house.