1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Tank Upgrade; strong bodies needed!

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by Sponge, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0

Some of you are aware that I will soon be upgrading to a 180g for my DT. I wanted to put this out here now even though I do not have a firm date and time for when I will be needing help. I believe the tank(s) move will happen at the end of this month, over Labor Day. Because I am old and weak (/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif) and the hubby is too (and a ruptured disc/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/ermm.gif). I am looking for available strong bodies to help with moving my 135g out and moving the 180g in.

The tank is heavy, it's glass, and I am told it weighs about 400 lbs! If you would be intersted in helping, please let me know! I'm very nervous about this since I've never had a tank this size and, I haven't gotten a firm committment on the date and time from the seller yet. On the day of the move, I am thinking it will be early morning . My fish are not going to be happy in rubbermade containers so I plan to get water, sand, rock, fish and the sump running in the same day./DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/whistling.gif Hopefully we can get some carpooling going also :0) Thanks for your consideration!! More to come and hopefully soon!/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

2. Nik Experienced Reefkeeper

Windsor Heights
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Just let me know when.

3. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    I will help if I am available when you do the move. I also have a set of suction cup handles that work great. You can borrow those whether or not I can help.

4. Chris C. Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    If I am available I will help!

5. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0

Terri - MACNA is Labor Day weekend. Several people that might help will be gone to Denver for that./DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/shocked.gif

6. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0

Dave are those suction cup handles the ones you borrowed from me (that I borrowed from Matt)? Just checking...I know they're around somewhere

7. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    Nope. These are ones I bought so I wouldn't have to borrow them.

8. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0

OMG Everyone! I'm speechless over your generosity! as tears wellup in her eyes

Which weekend works best for everyone? We can move the tanks on Saturday, Aug 23rd or the following weekend (Labor Day) on Sunday, August 30th? Also, can you give me a time 'for what time" works best for you in the morning? I am wanting to firm up everything by this weekend so everyone can plan on it!

I would love love to be able to use those suction cup handles Dave! Thanks so much!!!!

My friends and our Region are the GREATEST people Ever!!! Thanks!!!

9. Nik Experienced Reefkeeper

Windsor Heights
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    If you do it on Aug.23rd I can not help, as that is the day we are setting up the Smouse tank.

10. AnderDan

Osage, IA
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0

If I'm available during whichever date that is selected (either works for me right now), I'm more than happy to help! My girlfriend, Kelsey, says she could help too!

11. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0

Sorry Nick, I forgot! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif No worries, we can go for Sunday the 31st then:0)

Ok everyone, I don't want to interfere with the Smouse setup! Who can help Sunday, August 31st? Let me also know what would work for a time for everyone to be at my house! Thanks!!!/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

12. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    The following weekend is MACNA. Good luck on your move sponge. Sounds like fun.

13. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Yes, i know! Thanks Kyle and enjoy MACNA!!

14. Nik Experienced Reefkeeper

Windsor Heights
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I can be there at 9 am.

15. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    I cant help on the 31st due to macna..

16. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    That's okay Dave :0) Are you going to help with the Smouse install? Just wondering about getting the suction cup handles. I'm planning on helping with the Smouse tank so maybe we could get the handles then and there?

Okay, I'd like to have 4 strong bodies on Sunday, August 31st. If everyone could be at my house at 9am, we will ove the 135 and stand. Then head out to get the 180g.

1.) Nick
    2.)
    3.)
    4.)

17. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    Unfortunately, I cannot do the 23rd on the Smouse tank. I should be able to drop the suction handles off with Nick and maybe he can bring them back afterwards.

18. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    Two strong people should be able to move a 180. When I got mine me and the seller got it from his basement thru the house n loaded with just us 2. And me and the wife unloaded it from truck to about 90' away. Was it heavy...yes (400is a good est) would 4 be better...yes, just sayin it is doable with two, quite the workout tho and eat your wheaties lol. I'd definately help if I was closer

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  19. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  20. AnderDan

Osage, IA
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Kelsey and I will help move.