1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Tank temperature????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jtown, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So I have a nano cube that has been up and running for a little while and the the temp ususally stayed around 77-78 degrees day or night... I changed return pumps for more flow and noticed the temp raised a few degrees and now gets up to 81 during the day. Is this too high or dangerous temps? Ive always read 76-78 is good so is this getting in the danger zone?

2. dzabler

dzabler Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    do you know how long the temp stays at 81. my tank can get up there too but it is usually an hour before my lights go off. If it is a while you could try turning down your heater. Also when you say you changed return pumps do you mean you adjusted what you had before or you got a new return pump? If you got a new pump and it is bigger than that might be your problem. Usually the bigger the pump the more heat it creates in your tank.

3. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes put a slightly bigger pump on. The 29 biocube stock pump is rated at 246 or 243 gph, somethin like that, so just swapped with an mj1200 to get a lil better flow. (not much I kno). Is that temp even high enuf to worry about or is that an average temp? When should I be worried?

4. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    It all depends on what you have in your tanks.

Alot of people will keep their tanks @ 81. Many breeders keep their fish only tanks can be as high as 85 until spawning starts.

If it starts getting out of hand you can add a little computer fan to blow accross the surface of the water.

5. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mainly just softies, zoas and shrooms and a few lps. It was down to 77.6 this morn so I'm assuming during the day between the lights and bigger pump it runs a lil hotter. Next question is... Is that too big if a temp swing? If it's going from 77 at night to 81 during the day, I don't want my temp swinging like that do I??? I'd be better to turn my heater up a click so it stays warmer at night than letting it go back n forth right? Or is this good since it prob is similar to real life day and night ocean conditions???

I'm new to the hobby obviously. I've done ALOT of research and reading but there are so many mixed opinions and differences is what u read, I don't kno what to think. Thanks everybody!!!!

6. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Posted By Jtown on 04/15/2009 06:38 AM
    I'm new to the hobby obviously. I've done ALOT of research and reading but there are so many mixed opinions and differences is what u read, I don't kno what to think. Thanks everybody!!!!
    Exactly,
    Lots of different opinions!
    The thing is that alot of different things work for different people, so it isnt like some people are right & some people are wrong.
    The nice thing about softies are they are pretty tough.  You can try & set your heater & 78.5 & see what happens, but it may make your day temp go up to 83.  Check & see.
    I think menards or somebody sells a temp control switch, so if it hits 80 lets say, it will kick the fan on until it drops below 80.  That is always a solution too if you are worried about it.
    Does the tank still look good?  If so I would watch things & see how they respond to the temp swing.  I know on the reef that temps can swing as much as 10 degrees in a 24 hr period.

7. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I  would try the small fan idea, Just get a small fan and a timer so when your lights come on so does the fan, then when the lights go out so will the fan.