1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Help!! Tank rehab

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by wesly2007, Dec 8, 2016.

1. aussie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 1 / -0
    One more question what lights are you running and if they have bulbs how old are the bulbs

2. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    I would highly recommend throwing a couple turbo snails in there before you take more extreme measures. I thought I had an unrecoverable algae problem early into reefing. Another member hooked me up with some and I haven't had the issue since. They absolutely love green algae.

Lawnmower blennies are great until they stop eating:( - really sucks to see such an entertaining fish slowly waste away in your tank.

3. wesly2007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    55 to 60 gallon total volume. 40 breeder display 29 gallon sump. I'm using RO/DI water at 0 ppm
    My skimmer is a reef octopus NW 150. Only feeding once a week at this point

Shallow sand.

4. wesly2007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    250 watt MH. Bulb is a year old but I have a new one coming.

5. AdamLawrence Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Marion, IA
    Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    This is what i would do get some turbo snails (maybe 5to6 not to many other wise you will be right back to square one from die off) like @DangerJ@DangerJ said than you need to fight algae with algae i don't know how much room you have under your tank you can make an algae scrubber for a few bucks or nothing at all if you have stuff laying around or you can grow macro algae in your sump if you have room for it. Their was a thread of some one making and growing algae in a reactor with led strip you could try that to.
    If you need help making any thing I'm willing to help out i like tinkering!

Sent from my SM-N920V via App

6. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    I know I am one of the people you'll hear saying "don't chase pH", but a pH of 7.4 seems awfully low. If you were running a calcium reactor and took that reading overnight with the lights off I could maybe see that being a plausible value. I suspect something else is also going on... what is your alk and salinity at?

7. Brandon9400

Brandon9400

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I had the same exact issue on my 6 year old mixed reef..It crashed while I was traveling for work and I lost $1,000 in colony sps corals..I got disgusted and let it run for 8 months only feeding the fish and topping water off. well 3 months ago I got the reef bug back and the only patch of thick hair algae I have left is what my clowns are hosting haha(even though I added a nice big Green long tentacle nem)..

I added a foxface thanks to Matt and he literally went to town eating non stop

Added a lawnmower his belly is always bulging so I know he's eating good..

Added a powder brown tang and he ate algae non stop..
    I have a hob refugium full of cheato and a sump with a 400$ tunze skimmer that I only run 2 days a week cuz my acans start getting mad due to the lack of nutrients.
    I also run carbon in my filter sock twice a month
    I run two sols blues and a hydra
    I think what really added the cherry to the top was when I decided to re-scape my rock rock and I scrubbed every piece of rock with a wire brush and when I put it back into the tank I made an honest effort to have the side that used to be facing the light flipped over facing the bottom.

That's what worked for me feel to text me or call if have questions or need help I'm on the SE side by cottage Grove. 319-784-8152 goodo luck brother and +1 to what everyone else said all great ideas and info, this is just my experience. take care

Brandon