1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Tank Maintainence fee ???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by foxface, Jun 30, 2009.

1. foxface

foxface Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone. Just curious if anyone out there has done any aquarium maintainence. I was reffered by a friend to take care of and aquarium that belongs to a assisted living facility here in my home town. It is a FW setup (55 gallons) and don't even know where to start as far as what a reasonable fee would be. It is about a 25 minute round trip drive from my house to the facility. I figured I would reccommend 2 monthly visits changing out 15-20 percent of the water each visit. Clean inside and out of glass, vacumn gravel bed, clean any decoration and check water params. Any thing I am missing? I was thinking 35 dollar fee for each visit. Is that inline or is that unreasonable. Any advise would be appreciated. I have to call her in the morning and give her a estimate.
    Thanks

2. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I think that sounds fair to me considering the drive time involved.

3. Luukosian

Luukosian

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

.5 hr trip                                                     10$
    1hr maintenance                                        20$
    gas                                                             10$
    chems, testing supplies, equipment             5$
                                                         Total      45$
    Seems expensive for tank maintenance but when you consider all the factors it might not be worth it if its not something you do for a living and can service other tanks when you are in that area. If its something you just want to do for the experience then bid low but I wouldn't take a trip out for less than 50 bucks.
    Even at fifty bucks when you factor in the gas and everything else. You never know when a fish is going to get sick, you have an algae outbreak, or some other random thing that happens in aquariums...your going to end up having to run out there. I would definetly make it clear that service calls(outside regular maintenance) come with a fee as well. Probably writing up a proposal on paper would be a good idea.

4. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Back in California, companies would charge about 75-150 bucks per visiy depending on the size of the tank and frequency of visits (the more frequent, the less per visit due to generally less work per visit). Not sure what they charge here in Iowa, but based on my CA knowledge, your price seems more than fair to me :)

5. jwess

jwess

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think most places that offer this service charge about a $1 per gallon per visit with a minimum tank size. I take service a tank here in CF at one of the restaraunts. Its close for me and not to big of deal. I charge $100 a month for a once a week visit. Sometimes it only takes me 20min or less to complete the job. Sometimes more sometimes less.

6. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The local fish stores are going to charge $75-100 for the trip and then charge for any supplies used.  Water may be included depending on the contract.  You are charging way to little IMO.  Tank maintainance is easy for us because we do it all the time, but you have to charge for what you"know" also.  You walk into the doctor's office to have him look at your rash and it is going to cost you $100 and he will only be with you for 5 minutes.  You paid him for what he knows, not for what he did.
    With the calculations listed above you make $10, if you are lucky...  Why waste your time?
    You are also setting yourself up for liability if that tank leaks, breaks, or you spill something like iodine and damage property.  Is that worth $10?  Do you have business insurance to cover that?  The fish stores do.
    Sorry to be a downer, but this is obviously a road I have investigated from both sides.  While in the QC I was looking to buyout a fish shop, now with my clinic I am looking to hire maintainance as I suck about taking time to do water changes and if I put a tank in my waiting room it needs to look nice...

7. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If anything happens to the tank itself while you are not there, their homeowners insurance or whatever should cover. Check if they do, but I've read up on a few legalities of this also.

As if you make the mistake, spill iodine or something, then that's something that should be covered by you. (insurance or whatever)

8. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What restaurant is it that you take care off?

9. jwess

jwess

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I take care of the tank out at the PIPAC restaraunt.