1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Tank is crashing

Discussion in 'Quad Cities Area' started by Newbeme, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Newbeme

Newbeme Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well the tank is in the process of crashing. Here's the story. I haven't ran a skimmer in 6 months and everything was looking great. I started the skimmer four days ago and almost immediately the tank looked stressed. I think my mistake was when I shut my skimmer off  left it all in place with the water in the lower chamber. When I started I cleaned it all except for the lower water chamber. My guess is the water that was in there is the cause. In the last day I have lost a tang, a diamond golby, and two pj cardinals. So far the survivors are one pj, a lawn mower blenny, two breeding clowns, all the snails, hermit crabs, anemone, sand sifting starfish, and my clam. I've done massive water changes today with more to come tomorrow. I'm starting to think that if all my water tests were fine with out the skimmer and the tank looked awesome for this long I should have left well enough alone. Live and learn.

2. matt the fiddler

matt the fiddler Inactive User

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    where do you live? can we help out?

3. Newbeme

Newbeme Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm in Camanche. Not sure what to do at the moment besides ride it out, but thanks for the offer. I'm going to test the water in the morning or maybe tonight when we get home. I figured I'd wait a bit after doing a big water change. I think it was you that I was listening to talk about your tank crashing when we were at the meeting and thinking that has to be a terrible/sick feeling. Now I know. I'm hoping I can pull this one out with out to much loss besides the fish.

4. matt the fiddler

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    yep..

tank crashes are horrible.

let me know if I can help.. even temporary housing of some of you more valued fish/ corals

i am a pm and a short drive away :)

5. Newbeme

Newbeme Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just tested and my nitrates are at 20ppm, so as I suspected the water in the lower chamber must have been loaded. Just to make sure it wasn't something in my supply water I checked my RO/DI water and it is 000. What is the quickest way to drop nitrates?

6. matt the fiddler

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    water changes

7. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Does your water have a odder to it like a sulfur smell? I did the very same thing along time ago. Was using a canister filter for a few weeks and shut it down for a month, didn't clean it out just left it hooked up, not thinking about it I turned  it back on do some gravel cleaning and injected some of the most pungent smelling water into my tank. I too did several water changes. Just remember that water changes can be stressfull to your livestock as well! One sure way to drop you nitrates is to vacuum any detris you can find out of your tank, sump, sand bed, rock work ect.. Heavy wet skimming will help out allot also!!

8. stew Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    It's been a long while but I read about something like this on about.com and they recommended a series of water changes.  I think they recommended continual changes over short periods of time and claimed they had saved some nice corals. Had to use this method before but the changes up and down in nitrates weren't quite so much so I can't vouch for this situation.  Good luck!

9. Big Country

Big Country Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    There likely were a lot of little nasties in the anoxic environment in the skimmer chamber - B-Rad has some really good advice on vaccumming out as much of the detritis and wet skimming...slow and steady on the water changes to reduce stress on the fish.  Although I am not sure the animals could handle the stress of changing locations/water conditions, I may be able to free up some tank space also, if needed...

10. matt the fiddler

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    more time now that company is gone...

I have a dosing pump, and would set up WCs so it is continously being replaced and removed at a reasonably high rate.... with out stressign them

I dind't think of the detritus..... good one BRAD also... pull out anyhting that is dying or looks dying., if you can throw "looks dying" into a QT tank in case it goes, it won't nuke the whole tank.

watch for animals that are prone to ejecting poison like cukes.. if you have them.. they can trigger a second stage of die off.

11. Newbeme

Newbeme Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's what I was saying to my wife last night. It is hard to determine what is dead, in process of dying, or just stressed. Once the lights come back on today I'll try to do a damage assessment. I have a fairly simple set up and don't have any cukes, so hopefully getting this thing turned around won't be too bad. I guess the good thing is, if I have to start over I know what not to do and what I want to do different with the tank. Thanks for all the advice and offers. I guess time will tell.

On a more upscale note, hope every one had a good Happy New Years celebration last night. (not sarcasm)

12. Newbeme

Newbeme Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just did another 5 gallon water change, changed all filters, sucked all the detritus out I could get out, removed two Kenya trees & a large group of Xania. I figured they were the ones that looked the worst and they grow like weeds, so I would start there. The mushrooms are not looking good, along with the yellow polyps, or the star polyps.I keeping my fingers crossed for the 2 soft ball size frog spawns, my zoas, anemone, tube anemone, clam and the rest of the fish. I'll keep things updated, so maybe people will learn from my mistakes.
    The skimmer skim reaked 10x worse than it ever has before. As for being able to smell anything else no such luck. I'm fighting off bronchitis, sinus and ear infection and can hardly smell anything.

13. Big Country

Big Country Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hopefully things stabilize quickly...sounds like you are taking the right steps.

14. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Wow crappy luck! I would recommend Chemi Pure Elite. It has always kept me outa trouble! The only crash that I have had, I didnt have Chemi Pure. We were outta town. It will help absorb any remaining organic or inorganic compounds. I have had no ill effects EVER with this product. Rinse it well in RODI and follow the inst. Hope this will help speed your recovery! Dave

15. Newbeme

Newbeme Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just read a little on the Chemi Pure Elite, I think I might see if AE has any in stock. Sucks this happened over New Years so nothing is open.

16. Newbeme

Newbeme Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good news is now all the lights have been up for awhile now and most of the corals are looking a lot better than they did yesterday at this time. The fish that have survived don't look as labored as they did yesterday. The clowns are still tending to there eggs. Even though I don't think the eggs will survive, I think it looks like a good sign that they are getting back to normal. Still far from it , but getting there.

17. matt the fiddler

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    in 14 days you get new eggs though /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif

glad to hear. we are still here if you need help!

18. Newbeme

Newbeme Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This was their third time for spawning, so I'm sure they'll be fine. I feel bad for the PJ cardinal though. He had eggs in his mouth and the are gone along with his mates. I've got about 4 hours combined of work between yesterday and today with water changes, refilling RO water, and mixing salt water. Still bummed, but looking positively at the things I've learned from it and being grateful for not loosing everything as of yet.

Once again, thanks a bunch for all the offers and info.

19. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    OK now how about a 4 BT Diesel conversion for that Jeep!!! LOL

20. Newbeme

Newbeme Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Heck, I'd be happy if the wife would let me put a lift with 33's on it./DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif