1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Tank Drilling ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Troy, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, here is the deal...I am trying to upgrade my system.   I was wanting a 29gallon frag and a 29 gallon refugium.  I got the bits and starting drilling, however I ran into some difficulty.  I ended up drilling 3 tanks, all 29 gallon and they shattered like a spider web.  I had asked several people before I started drilling if 29's were tempered and everyone didn't thinks so, but after drilling I am starting to think they are.  I did drill another tank...the 4th one is also a 29gallon and had no problems with it, not to mention I drilled another 29 at the tank drilling session in CR last year.  I have drilled other tanks without any problems.  So, I am wondering has anyone tried drilling a 29 gallon tank?  Did you have any problems?  Are some or all 29 gallon tanks tempered glass?  Or did I just have bad luck?  I made sure I went slow and not to apply too much pressure...so I just was wondering what you opinion is.

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I am assuming you had water running on your bit the whole time?

3. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yes, I did...I had the putty and water as I did in the tank drilling session and someone on hand watching to see when it started to drill through and to refill water constantly. I did follow the procedure as we did in the tank drilling session. As mentioned above, I have drilled many other tanks previously and had no problem. Just having a problem with 3 out of the 5 29 gallon tanks and just wanting to know if anyone else has had problems with 29 gallons tanks?

4. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've had good luck emailing the manufacturer to find out if they are tempered or not. I suppose it would depend on who made it, and how long ago. A lot of times the bottoms are tempered, but the sides aren't.

Lee

5. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    that does seam totally odd. what brand tank were they?

6. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    If they spider webbed when they broke they were tempered for sure.

7. Doodaa

Doodaa Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Can you drill tempered glass if you go slow enough? I think I remember a shop owner that claimed he did it.

8. Troy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't think that you can drill tempered glass. The 3 29g tanks that spider webbed on me most likely were tempered. I know that the last one i did go slow and still didn't make it. I don't know what brand they were bought used.