1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Tank Build

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guest, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I just added a lowe's clip on fixture with a 5100k screw in CP bulb over my sump/fuge.
    [​IMG]

2. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    lookin good al, wherz the big azz skimmer?
    just kiddin, yeah man the whole thing looks pretty well put together, i bet you cant wait to get some clowns in there huh?

where do you have that tank at in your house?

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank's Sean, yes I'm looking forward to getting some fish in there, I like to wait about 3 months to add fish, we'll see.   The inverts are doing good and my zoo frags have grown a few polyps, they seem to like the lighting.  
    The tank is located in my basement, It's finished, we have an entertainment area and my office. So I spend alot of time down here. 

4. seanndenise1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hey
    when you decide to get some clowns, let me know.
    we can order them from somewhere and save on shipping if not bought locally.
    i seen a website somewhere that had clown pairs for like 80 bucks but cant find it now.
    also the pet depot has what look like nice sized clowns,maybe 2.5 inches for 14.99.
    im not paying 27.99 for a baby clown, thats rediculously priced.---
    they are getting some more in in a couple weeks, i dont know if i want to buy just a plain jane clown or maybe try and get what is supposed to be a good breed clown.
    i couldnt tell the difference between a good one or a common one.
    what do you look for in a clown? buck toothed? LOL.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've already have a pair of clowns, I have had them for almost a year.  I got them from annamarie who hangs out at GIRS at reefcentral.  She got them from someone else, these clowns have been around the block.  MWP who lives in Chicago has nice onyx clowns for sale that he bred,  there listed on uberfrags.com.  I think he sells some to Rods Reef as well.  If you have some time off during the holiday maybe we could take a drive up to Dekalb and check out Rods.

6. reeffreak3652

reeffreak3652 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Dont forget Don, the local guy in CR that breeds clowns.

7. js_bass

js_bass Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    he dont sell his clowns to rod, he breeds his own

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My bad, I thought I saw that they both had posted in the fish forum on uberfrags.com

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I stopped by AE and picked up some new zoo's tonight.  I dipped them with flatworm exit and Lugol's in fresh RO water.  Here they are opening up!
    [​IMG]

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I ordered 3 zoa frags from sharksreef.com early this week and they arrived today,  They threw in an extra frag with the order.  They haven't opened up yet, I'll post some pics tomorrow when their open.   Sharky's has excellent service, they stayed in touch with me during the shipping.  The shipping was cheap only $20.00 because I live close enough to do one day ground shipping.  It took two days however probably due to the holiday season, not to bad considering it was Fedex.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm a little concerned about the new zoos I received.  They haven't opened up yet.  I think I might have screwed up the acclimation process, I heated a gallon of fw all day to 78 degrees.  When I got them home instead of drip acclimating first like I usually do, I put the bags in the fresh water for about 20 minutes to raise temp in the bags, then I added lugol's and flat worm exit.  I then took the plugs out of the bag and soaked them for about 5 minutes shook them, did another short dip and then I drip acclimated them and put them in the tank with the light off over night.  I've never had any issues with zoos not opening within 24 hours and I'm hoping they'll recover soon.

12. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Atram on 12/22/2007 7:34 AM
    I'm a little concerned about the new zoos I received.  They haven't opened up yet.  I think I might have screwed up the acclimation process, I heated a gallon of fw all day to 78 degrees.  When I got them home instead of drip acclimating first like I usually do, I put the bags in the fresh water for about 20 minutes to raise temp in the bags, then I added lugol's and flat worm exit.  I then took the plugs out of the bag and soaked them for about 5 minutes shook them, did another short dip and then I drip acclimated them and put them in the tank with the light off over night.  I've never had any issues with zoos not opening within 24 hours and I'm hoping they'll recover soon.
    Zoa's are pretty tough. I have had them dry for hours, cooked in a tote for two weeks, on the bottom of a rock for 6 months with little to no light,  etc and have yet to fully loose a colony due to the calamity. Unless they have fully disappeared I tend to think they will recover. It may just take them a few days to get happy.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thanks for the reassurance Billy. They were beautiful on the website, I hope the recover soon.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Here's a few pics of some of my zoos

These zoos have a nice orange center under actinics

[​IMG]
    Green Bay packers  (The pic didn't turn out well)
    [​IMG]
    New red center colony with tan rim
    [​IMG]

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Accidental double post

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I thought the tank was looking a little empty so I placed an order to marcorocks.com and picked up 25lbs of fiji dry rock.  I'm very pleased with it, it nice and porous.
    [​IMG]

17. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    They look awesome! I like the shapes and sizes, they should make a nice home for your fish and corals. Please post some pics of your aquascaping after the addition. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

18. seanndenise1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    that rock looks nice, get to growin some corraline on it now!

19. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Here are a few aquascape pics.

Before

[​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice job on creating an appealing 3 dimensional look! It's challenging to do on a smaller tank but I think you've nailed it! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif