1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Tank Build

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guest, Nov 22, 2007.

1. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Wanted to see if I could get a new hypo and check out the tank.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Your welcome to stop by, my wife reminded my that I have a 5:00 dentist appt [​IMG]

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Here's a pic of the tank and test readings

SG 1.024
    Calcium 400
    dKh 7.2

PH 8.0

Phosphates 0

Copper 0
    Ammon 0.25
    Nitrates 10
    [​IMG]

4. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Your tank has cleared up a bunch! It's looking real nice. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

I think you might have a typo on your calcium reading.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thank's Sone.  Your right I put in the PH reading, CA is 400.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I went to AE and picked up a few nassarius snails, and I decided to pick up an SPS frag.  I think one of the Waterloo reefers sold these to AE.  It's looking kind of fuzzy already.

[​IMG]

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Stangest thing, I usually have had diatom algae at this point.  I guess I don't have any because I mainly used cooked rock and I've skimmed and changed a tankfull of water during the first week.  Also, I've kept my tank parameters in check.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    tank looks great is that one of then 16.99 frags he has ? and i have 70 pounds of crushed coral all ready should i use that or use sand? if i use sand ill have to buy it

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    tank looks great is that one of then 16.99 frags he has ? and i have 70 pounds of crushed coral all ready should i use that or use sand? if i use sand ill have to buy it

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By keith on 12/09/2007 2:32 PM
    Thank's, yes I bought one of those frag's.  I've heard a few bad things about crushed coral, sand might be better to use.  It's best to get a good brand of sand.  If you want to let go of a little crushed coral I'd be willing to take a little.  I plan on sprinkling it around the base of my rock islands.  I plan on getting a goby/shrimp pair and it would help the shrimp build tunnels.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i got all new nice sand tonight 50 pounds my sumps is built thay droped it off tonight its allsome i wanted to do a skimmerlike shawnandenise 1 but no room under my stand ,y gole is to have water in in friday or sat mabey no rish
    Posted By Atram on 12/09/2007 2:39 PM

Posted By keith on 12/09/2007 2:32 PM
    Thank's, yes I bought one of those frag's.  I've heard a few bad things about crushed coral, sand might be better to use.  It's best to get a good brand of sand.  If you want to let go of a little crushed coral I'd be willing to take a little.  I plan on sprinkling it around the base of my rock islands.  I plan on getting a goby/shrimp pair and it would help the shrimp build tunnels.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We just had a 45 minute outage, I had the battery powered airpumps going.  The woodburning stove had been going, tossed in another log and kept the basement up to 80.  All went well, I was glad the power came back on so quick.  We have our DSL/wireless router on a UPS so we had internet access with my notebook pc.  Gotta love technology.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

A few pics of my livestock,  I have two zoo frags (no pics), SPS - Turning pink, I like the color, but it might be due to low nutrients and a huge nassarius snail that I brought over from my other tank.  

SPS

[​IMG]
    Nassarius snail
    [​IMG]

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I scored some turbo snails from Sean tonight, it was nice to meet him.  He's got a very nice 125 coming along.  I have a little bit of diatom algae growning on my sand bed and some hair algae on the rock, the snails out wipe it out. 

15. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like your tank is still in a cycle. Better give your SPS to me so that I can take care of it for you. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Everything's doing Okay, the level's are looking great.  The SPS is doing good, but it's lightened up quite a bit, I think my light's might be overpowering it a bit.  I might have covey baby sit for while, give him a frag for payment.  I gave him a piece of monti cap and it's looking great in his tank.  I need to talk to Travis before he goes, he said he's got another monti cap for me.

17. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you think the lights are too strong then you can reduce your lighting period or cut some screen into squares and place about 5 on top of each other to shade the frag and remove one layer every couple days (if you don't want to take it out of our tank.)

18. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I reduced the lighting period, I'll move it lower in the tank and I have a sheet of screen out in my garage, I'll cut a few peice off and give it a try.

19. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've got some new frags coming in, they should be here by tuesday.  I found some very colorful zoo frags and a nice price and cheap shipping.

20. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Everything's going well so far.  I'm going to make another sump soon, I want to be able to put my skimmer in it and my sump inlet assembly should be easier to get to.  I'll go with a 20H again, they fit well under the display and it should give me adequate room for a refugium.