1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Tank Build

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guest, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I rinsed it, I filled each bucket load up 2/3 of the way up with sand, then I filled the remainder with water.  I let the detritus rise for about 1/2 hour, poured it off and repeated 3 times for each bucket load.  Sundown is a very fine powdery sand I figured it would give more problems than tanks I've setup in the past. 

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I drove up to Petsmart and bought a hot magnum cannister.  Hopefully, this will get the job done.   Also, my lights arrived today with 5 free bulbs,  I'll probably upgrade the bulbs in a while, but it'll be nice to have something to start off with.

3. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good job Al, it looks like your tank is really coming together, quickly! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif Can you take some pics of your new fixture? I've always heard good things about the Aquatinics brand so I would also like to get your opinion on it.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Here are few pics of the Aquatinics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The Hot Magnum canister is really getting the job done, I've got the micron filter in.

6. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's a sweet looking fixture! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif Does it come with any hanging cables? How do you plan on hanging it? Also, how do you like the overall color temperature of the tank with the 2 white and 2 actinics?

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I didn't get the hanging cables, I might pick up something locally.  It's a five bulb fixture, it came with (2) actinic bulbs, (2) 20K bulbs and one 9k bulb.  I'm going to wait until the tank clears to mount it, we'll see.

8. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    The fixture is looking sharp. I think your going to be happy not cheaping out in the long run on lighting.

Got any more info on the bulbs?

Those daylights look fairly blue.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By covey on 12/05/2007 12:31 AM
    The fixture is looking sharp. I think your going to be happy not cheaping out in the long run on lighting.
    Got any more info on the bulbs?
    Those daylights look fairly blue.
    The brand name is Aquaz, I got (2) Blue Pro actinics, (2) Ocean Pro 20k's and (1) Plant pro 9k. The 20k's didn't look to blue when I took the picture.  I'll have a better idea how they look once their over tank.   Also, I can see the rock and the back of the tank, the HK3's are still pushing water, the Hot Magum is filtering and skimmer pulling gunk out.  It should be in good shape by the time I get home this afternoon.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here's a pic of the tank with the lights one, still a little cloudy,  but it's get better.
    [​IMG]

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Last night I got kind of PO'd because my rock had sand all over it, so I blasted them over night with the HK-3's.  The rock was alot cleaner but it was cloudy this morning.  I think I'll get a new turkey baster and do a more subtle approach next time.

12. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    you could use a gravel vac to vac out some of the dust

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By covey on 12/07/2007 6:29 PM
    you could use a gravel vac to vac out some of the dust
    Yes, I took my python to it.  But I had to make up alot of replacement water to keep my mag 5 from going nuts.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Here's the latest status, things are clearing up a bit.  I think it will look much better tomorrow, the skimmer been pulling the silt out.  The lights look kind of blue on the tank, UPS delivered the risers tonight and I installed them.

[​IMG]

15. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Al, something to do to cure the dust storm also is to add some stress coat. It really makes the skimmer foam and pulls alot of fine particulate out.

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank's Ben, it's looking alot better this morning, finally.  I'll probably get some stresscoat today to finish the job off.

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I found that I had a bottle, I added 3 caps and the skimmer went nuts.

18. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The tank has finally cleared, looking great.  I probably changed about 30 gallons of water this week, replacing what the skimmer pulled out.

19. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Lord don't use stress coat.

Hey Al what are you doing Monday?

20. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have to work, I should be home by 4:00.  What's up