1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Tank Build

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guest, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    drill a small hole in the front of the return in side tank like 2 inches down tube mine did same this it will work

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    drill hole in return tube that will cut the siphoning when power goes off i had same problem or for 4 bucks u can go menards like my buddie did at get check valves

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I went to Lowe's and picked one up, only $6.00.

5. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm with Keith on this one Al. Breaking the siphon by drilling a small hole in the return is safer and cheaper than using any form of a check valve. I just don't trust them on tanks, they will fail sooner or later.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'll probably drill a hole in it, I forgot that I've done that in the past, it's hard to remember when you haven't modded a tank in a few years.  I tested out the check valve and it's working pretty good.  I also just finished a stockman style standpipe that was designed by Ken Stockman for hang on overflows, it works great no noise[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    al what do i need to do that noise thing my over flowes on both tanks are loud what did u use

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  9. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just read on reefcentral that the lights have been shipped to Premium Aquatics and orders should be sent out to customers this week.  All my gear should be here by the end of the week, so I should have things up and running by next weekend.[​IMG]

10. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Looking good Al.
    Is that a 125 or 220 Super Skimmer? I have a 125, I did the fishing line mod because I didn't want to destroy the impeller. Did the mesh mod improve it much?
    Also I see you are using the "T" mod on the output, I was considering this. Did it help much?
    Joel

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By jtesdall on 11/25/2007 3:50 PM
    Looking good Al.
    Is that a 125 or 220 Super Skimmer? I have a 125, I did the fishing line mod because I didn't want to destroy the impeller. Did the mesh mod improve it much?
    Also I see you are using the "T" mod on the output, I was considering this. Did it help much?
    Joel
    Thanks Joel, it's a 125 super skimmer.  Covey actually did all the mods on the printer, it's a hand me down.  I don't have any experience with a stock SS, it seems to work pretty good though.  Maybe, Covey will chime in and give some input.

12. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Let me know when you have it going. I got a tank warming chalice frag for ya. It's looking good so far. I'd also ditch the check valve and drill a hole. I replace check valves every week at work none of the are good forever. Most should be called slow down valves.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By vvolfe1 on 11/25/2007 5:18 PM
    Let me know when you have it going. I got a tank warming chalice frag for ya. It's looking good so far. I'd also ditch the check valve and drill a hole. I replace check valves every week at work none of the are good forever. Most should be called slow down valves.
    Cool, I've taking a liking to chalices recently.  The check valve is glued in place,  I might need to cut it out at some point,  I should have used a screw on fitting. I'm going to drill a hole in it tomorrow.

14. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Sorry I missed you today Al.

The tee mod does help as the stock tiny little vacuum break clogs easy. Plus if I remember correctly it was standard 1 1/4" PVC so you can plumb the skimmer from there.

I never mesh moded the SS, didn't exist when I owned it, but I've heard that it isn't as drastic as on some other skimmer due to plumbing issues with the SS.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No problem, next weekend.  I should have it up and running by then.

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I removed the check valve and I reworked the stand pipe, it's working great now.  I also received everything I ordered except the lights, they were shipped out of aquatinics last week and arrived at premium aquatics today, I haven't received any notification from PA that they have been shipped out to me yet.   I need to drain the tank and get a some hose to run from my RO/DI to the tank, rinse sand and get the tank filled, I also need to paint the back ground.  Here's what's come in so far.

[​IMG]

17. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looking good Al! It looks like a bunch of ingredients for a reef tank. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif What other test kits did you get? Are you going to be using any carbon or GFO on this tank?

18. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    new toys new toys!

19. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Al, you might consider sending that heater back and getting a Jager or other quality device. That heater is junk and I would not trust it. Fosters used to carry a decent titanium then they replaced it with that Azoo stuff. I have one and used it for about a day on my freshwater Discus tank. Its not dependable and very hard to adjust. It is now on my Ro/Di container. I also bought an Azoo powerhead from them that shocked me the first night it was in the tank. Obviously I will never buy anything Azoo again. Please don't trust a beautiful Reef to it, I can't imagine it having a good outcome. Of course just my "strong" opinion.
    The Koralias on the other hand are great. A bit noisy on a wavemaker but well worth the money.

20. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well let's see I have a saltwater master liquid test kit (It's kind of old, I probably should replace it), phosphate, Salifert alkalinity and calcium. I need to get a magnesium test.   What is GFO?