1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Tang Feeding

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kgehrke, Sep 23, 2008.

1. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Everybody, I just picked up a tang last weekend. I got it some formula 2 flake, algea sheets, and a clown clip (tacky looking i know). I also have a clown in the system and a cleaner shrimp, which I feed frozen cyclopeeze, frozen mysis, and the occasional all around sinking pellet (can't remember the brand or type right now). The new tang has so far been eating really well, pretty much anything that hits the water, and munching on the established live rock algea.
    Is there anything I'm missing?
    I was wondering what everybody here feeds their's?
    Also, is there a place around central Iowa that sells Nori?
    Thanks!
    -Kevin

2. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I find my nori at the grocery store (Hy-Vee) and it is soo much cheaper than what they sell as marine nori.  I find my tangs (2) to be very big pigs!  What kind of tang did you get and what size is it?

3. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's a 3.5 inch Powder Blue. By the sounds of things on wet web media it is going to take a little work keeping it happy. It seems to be doing very well right now, eats a LOT, clear eyes, very alert, and active, but there are a lot of stories about them having health problems. Oh well, at least I'll do my water changes on time now...

4. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    They are certainly one of the most beautiful marine fish out there. What size tank do you have Kevin?

5. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    100 gallons at the moment. When it gets bigger I may need a 180 or larger, or have to donate the fish to someone with a reef of this size.

6. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You should be good for a long time with 100 gallons if he's small now. Feeding greens or nori really helps with keeping them full and happy!

7. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Robyn

8. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    One thing I would recommend is attaching a bit of fishing line to your veggie clip and attaching it to your tank. That way when it loses is suction and comes loose (which it will), you can retrieve it easily.

You should be able to find nori at any of the larger grocery chains (I get mine at Target). Just make sure you get the unseasoned variety. Tangs love the stuff.

-JB

9. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My newest trick that I've taught my fish is to eat their nori or algae from a long skinny grasper like tool (titanium, used for laparoscopic surgical procedures-yup, I'm a nurse) that I have. 
    All I have to do is put it in the tank and they come right up and eat it.  I have a hippo tang (had her since she was the size of a 50 cent piece and she's 6" now) my new powder brown and my rabbitfish.   If it's the nori, the rabbitfish stands back.  If it's caulerpa, the rabbit is right up to the plate.  Funny how they have such personalities.

10. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'll have to try the fishing line trick since I'm not a nurse.

I have some caulerpa in another aquarium that I might harvest to see if the powder takes a liking.

I've been doing a lot of reading up on these guys. It sounds like I was lucky to get one that eats readily. I think it's on the thin side, probably from inadequate pet store nutrition and shipping. The way it chows though I think it'll beef up soon. I was looking at some on you tube that are downright FAT. With any luck mine will be that way soon.

The tang is housed with only a false perc that I've had for a year, and a cleaner shrimp. The clown and the tang are actually good buddies, it's fun to watch. I think they're just really curious of each other.

11. saltwaternewbee

saltwaternewbee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Can i ask what is Nori and what deptaprment do i look for it in? If your tangs like mine should too. Thanks

12. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like HyVee carries it. I'm going to go look for some tonight. Nori is just seaweed. Tangs require seaweed in there diet I believe.