1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Taking photos /w measured white balance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by IowaDiver, Nov 13, 2007.

1. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I am having trouble taking pictures of my tank using measured white balance.
    I am inserting a digital grey card in the tank and then measuring the WB with my camera (Nikon D50). My results are less than spectacular. All my pictures have a very red hue to them. Is there anyone here who knows what I'm doing or can give me some tips?
    Thanks,
    Chris

2. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    White balance is one of the trickiest parts of photography for me, i totally gave up and just use the fish setting on my canon a610. It's actually pretty decent. I have tried all sorts of stuff from using coffee filters to paperplates, nothing came out as nice as using auto or the "fish".

I would like to hear others opinions on this, i know we have a few photo nerds here...wheres Wes and Sasha? they are going to school for photography maybe they can chime in here.....

3. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I never had any luck with my custom white balance either. It made the 20K look 6.5K. I use the high K fluorescent setting. It seems to work the best for me.

4. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You're camera has a "fish" setting?!?! If you bought it specifically for that feature you're officially obsessed...

5. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    It doesn't make sense to me. I will keep looking for an answer. I can adjust the color temperature in photoshop but I see no reason why this shouldn't work.

thanks

6. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Philby on 11/14/2007 6:45 AM
    You're camera has a "fish" setting?!?! If you bought it specifically for that feature you're officially obsessed...
    Actually its an underwater setting but the icon is of a fish...it works great for tank shots where there is lots of blue light.

7. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a D50 and I use custom white balance all the time...it works great.
    ot sure what you are doing wrong but I actually use the white sand to set my WB off of...

I have another post with my pics in it, using the custom WB.
    http://www.greateriowareefsociety.org/site/Community/DiscussionForums/tabid/78/forumid/6/postid/388/view/topic/Default.aspx

einsteins