1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

T5's vs LED's

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by beckerj3, Oct 17, 2016.

1. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    What's the latest view on PAR reading differences on T5's and LED's?

A couple years ago when I was reading up on LED's I remember an article that said that although the PAR may be the same, that the PUR on LED's was greater (for the same PAR value). And so, the PAR value for the LED could be lower than the T5 and still get the same results. ????? Is that still the current thought? Or was it that the PAR meter didn't give correct readings for the LED and thus it was actually greater?

2. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    I switched one of my tanks to led from t5. I had to go to lower par on led. Maybe they just needed acclimating I don't know but I had to drop part below 100 or my zoas wouldn't open. I was running 150ish with t5.
    The led is 2 radion gen2 pros. I was running the radiant color program. Now I run the coral labs LPS-SOFTY program. It's I bit more blue than I like to run but everything seems to like it so far. I have the wide angle lenses on.
    The old t5 fixture was an ATI Power module. 6 bulb 36 inch with blue plus and purple plus bulbs. The t5 was undersized for a 120 gallon but it worked great. I just wanted to tinker with led.
    Supposedly the upgraded meter is going to read closers with the LED's, but there is a factor you are supposed to multiply to get your reading. I just use the meter as a reference number. Gives me a good idea for coral placement and light fixture hanging height.

3. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    What are you running on your frag tank? I've had the Reefbreeder's value fixture for 3 years on the frag tank. It was definitely a step up from the 2 bulb T5 fixture I was using - more PAR. But I can't 'dial' in a color I like on it. So, I'm ready to give up and go to a 4 bulb T5 fixture for it (20g long). Suggestions??

4. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    6 bulb t5 over 40b. That's my frag tank. A 24 inches 4 bulb t5 over a 20l would work just fine.

5. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    Thks.

6. MadManMadrid Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +158 / 4 / -0
    Why not do beat of both and go with both? I had led but i hated getting the shadows led put out so i got a 2 bulb t5 unit and put it on the front of the tank and lean it toward the back. Shadows gone amd it seemed like the corals liked it

7. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    Doing something similar on our 210. Adding 2, 2 bulb t5's to supplement LEDs

8. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    I've thought about it. I've got a 2 bulb T5 fixture. Problem is that the LED is 8 1/2" wide and the T5 is 5" wide and the tank is only 12" wide. Not sure how to make that work - although part of the width on the T5 is for the ballast area. Not sure I can rig it so that part of the T5 fixture (part that contains the ballast area, not the bulbs) is not over the tank - w/o the fixture falling off (fixture has mounting legs).