1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

T5 vs CF

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Casey, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Casey

Casey Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am trying to decide on a light fixture for a small frag station off my main system.  I've heard some people say T5's are better than Compact Fluorescent and others say the opposite.  Personally I have never tried T5, but am not opposed to getting them.  I'm shooting for something with a small area roughly the size of a 10 gallon aquarium, just to get my feet wet and due to space restrictions.  
    I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, but I would appreciate any recommendations for one over the other and why.
    Thanks,
    Casey

2. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    T5's are going to be similar regarding startup cost & heat to a pc (power compacts) with the added flexibility of growing hard (SPS) corals or clams.  PC are going to limit to low-light SPS, LPS & softies.
    I would personally choose the T5's over pc's for the ability to maintain specimens with greater light requirements.
    -Eric

3. Casey

Casey Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks! appreciate the post!

4. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Just as an FYI, a big reason why T5's are better than PC's is the reflectors. The odd shapes of PC bulbs makes it very difficult to build an effective reflector. The T5's on the other hand can be coupled with clip-on individual reflectors that can increase their output by up to 300%. You can also get more bulbs in the same amount of space, so you can mix/match bulbs to get the colors you're looking for.

-JB

5. mcclandy

mcclandy

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have had CF and T5's (with reflectors). And the T5's kick the CF's butt.

6. Casey

Casey Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That makes sense as to why they would be considerably better.  With that being said I think I will go with the t5. 
    Thanks everyone that responded to my post.  [​IMG]