1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

T5 Lighting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guest, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Isn't catalina a different company?  Current USA manufactures the Nova Extreme Pro.  I bought some cheap MH 10k bulbs from catalina once and they were more like 6.5k, a strong yellow color.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  3. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hopefully during the tank tour you'll beable to see first hand the difference in some. I'd like to see covey's to compare it to mine. After that maybe I'll change a couple lamps. I know the regular nova extreme I find very poor compared to a retro kit or a better fixture with slr's.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By vvolfe1 on 11/17/2007 8:28 AM
    hopefully during the tank tour you'll beable to see first hand the difference in some. I'd like to see covey's to compare it to mine. After that maybe I'll change a couple lamps. I know the regular nova extreme I find very poor compared to a retro kit or a better fixture with slr's.
    Yes, it will be nice to see the tanks, I've never personally seen a T5 lit tank.  I'm not rushing in to anything, especially since I don't get paid until next week. I did read some unflattering reviews about the regular nova extremes, but the new one seems to have addressed some of the issues.  I read somewhere on grimreefers thread someone posted about buying the nova extremes, ditched the bulbs that came with it, and replaced them with ATI and bulbs from reefgeek and was much happier with the performance.

5. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I am running 400W mh right now guys sorry. There was no sensible to light the 6' tank with T-5 that I liked.

If the aquatinic is in the price range go for it Al.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By covey on 11/17/2007 11:08 AM
    I am running 400W mh right now guys sorry. There was no sensible to light the 6' tank with T-5 that I liked.
    If the aquatinic is in the price range go for it Al. I'm kind of leaning that way.  I know Ben and Robyn like their setup's, I'm looking forward to checking out Ben's tank tomorrow. 

7. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    The reflectors are better in the Aquatinic light and the build quality is good.

I had the Tek reflectors and the clips rusted farely quickily.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By covey on 11/17/2007 12:14 PM
    The reflectors are better in the Aquatinic light and the build quality is good.
    I had the Tek reflectors and the clips rusted farely quickily.
    I was reading grimreefers T5 thread and one of the poster's mentioned rusting on their TEK fixture because the clips and joiners weren't made of stainless steel.

9. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    There isn't any rust on my fixture.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It could be because you fixture is mounted up in your hood.  If mounted on legs they could get more salt on them, I have power compacts support on legs on my nano and it requires quite a bit of cleaning due to salt creep.

11. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You're right, it would probably make the difference that it isn't mounted on legs. 
    Mine isn't mounted in my hood, it just sits on the top of my hood and my hood is now basically an open frame on top.  Makes it easy to get to my lights yet they can't fall in or anything.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By RobynT on 11/18/2007 6:32 PM
    You're right, it would probably make the difference that it isn't mounted on legs. 
    Mine isn't mounted in my hood, it just sits on the top of my hood and my hood is now basically an open frame on top.  Makes it easy to get to my lights yet they can't fall in or anything.Hoods keep the lights well protected.  I might have to think about getting a hood, because we have cats and they have jumped in the tanks a few times.  I might need to get a lionfish or a moray eel it might teach them that the tank should be avoided.

13. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Umm, that might work    (hehe)
    I like my hood and really a hood is nothing more than a box with doors.  I have my moon lights mounted inside it too and in the summer I have a little fan that hangs inside.  It's nice to be able to shut the doors to the equipment sometimes.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  15. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0