1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

T5 Lighting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guest, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm getting ready to start up my 58 gallon tank which I have been working on for a long time. I'm going to get
    a T5 lighting fixture.  I've been following the Grimm Reefers mega T5 Q&A thread on Reef Central for quite a
    while. 
    http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1214393
    I would like to know what brand of T5 light fixtures any of you are using, bulb selection and if your satisfied
    with your lights.  I plan on having a mixed reef, softies, LPS, SPS and a clam. My tank is 36" long and I don't have
    a hood.  
    Here are some of the fixtures that I'm interestested in.
    Nova Extremes (I've heard some bad things about these) the price is right though.  And I heard if your replace the stock
    bulbs they work alright.
     http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+12772&pcatid=12772
    TEK T5's (Good middle of the road system)
    http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/Sunlight_Supply/Tek_Light_Fixtures/36_inch__Tek_Light:_4-39W_T5_High-Output_Fixture_by_Sunlight_Supply
    Aquactinics (Good 5 light system)
    http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AT-TX53600&Category_Code=Aquactinics

2. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I have a the retrofit 4 54 watt T-5 setup /w Tek reflectors using an icecap 660 ballast so that the bulbs are overdriven to something like 80 watts. I am using two ATI Aquablue and two ATI Blue+ bulbs.
    I bought my lights from reefgeek.com

3. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have the T5 6 x 54 Tek fixture from Reefgeek.  It was a perfect experience dealing with Reefgeek, they really helped me, such as helping me pick out my bulbs and answered tons of questions.  The speed of delivery and excellent packaging were A+!   I have nothing to say but perfect transaction and experience with Reefgeek.  I bought my fixture one year ago and have never had a problem.  I feel I have good color and can keep anything I want in my tank.  I also have two clams on the sandbed. 

4. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    What bulbs are you using Robyn and what size tank? I don't have too much SPS but I do have a blue clam on the sandbed that seems to be doing. I am going to do some sps as soon as I get my nutrient problem solved.

5. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am not positive about my bulbs but at least 4 of them are guiesman (sp?)  (german bulbs)  and one is ATI I think.  I'll have to look when the lights are out later. 

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Robyn, how do you have them mounted?  Are they suspended or mounted on legs?

7. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have the fixture in my canopy so it's probably 10-12" above my tank I would guess.  If you do go with T5's, the most important thing is to make sure you get the ones with the  individual light reflectors.

8. rc1214b

rc1214b

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just have a retro in canopy but I've heard lots of good things about ATI's powermodule fixtures listed on ReefGeek.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By RobynT on 11/15/2007 3:36 PM
    I have the fixture in my canopy so it's probably 10-12" above my tank I would guess.  If you do go with T5's, the most important thing is to make sure you get the ones with the  individual light reflectors.
    Yes, I will definitely go with a unit that has individual reflectors.  I heard they really increase the bulb efficiency.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By rc1214b on 11/15/2007 3:45 PM
    I just have a retro in canopy but I've heard lots of good things about ATI's powermodule fixtures listed on ReefGeek.
    Yes, I checked out the ATI powermodule's.  Very nice but expensive, 6x39w with bulbs $739.00.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I just read that Current came out with a new incarnation for the nova extreme.  It's called the nova extreme pro, 6 bulbs , individually contoured reflectors.
    Probably not the same as an individual reflector, I think it's a one piece reflector.

http://www.current-usa.com/nova_extreme_pro

12. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Those reflectors and that unit  looks an awful lot like mine.  That's what I meant when I said individual reflectors. 

13. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    well I will share my light setup with you guys now. I have 75gals with 6 t5s over it. I was cheap and got the light unit off ebay for $225 shipped. I was kinda wondering what i was going to get but have had good luck with ebay before so i went with it. http://cgi.ebay.com/48-SOLAR-T5-AQUARIUM-LIGHT-6-x-54W-WITH-FREE-LEGS_W0QQitemZ230190820794QQihZ013QQcategoryZ46314QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

And i have to say that I really like them. It have a wireless remote that you set to when you what the three different sets of the 2 bulbs to go on/off. Although I had some problem getting it to work, but i figuired out that I have to ahve the remote sitting in front of the senour to work and if I move it have have press the set butten again.

THese lights are made by Catalina Aquarium, which looks like a good company. I have had for almost two month and i happy with my lights. great deal for the money

14. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Also the end cap was broke when I got it and the seller sent out a new piece the next day, very good seller! Although my light didn't have any actine blubs so i ahd to buy those. no big deal

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It shouldn't matter whether the reflector is one piece or not, so long as the reflector(s) are curved individually for each bulb.

I'm also looking into t5s for another tank, but it will definitely be a DIY project. Short on funds /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By davidm199 on 11/15/2007 9:27 PM
    well I will share my light setup with you guys now. I have 75gals with 6 t5s over it. I was cheap and got the light unit off ebay for $225 shipped. I was kinda wondering what i was going to get but have had good luck with ebay before so i went with it. http://cgi.ebay.com/48-SOLAR-T5-AQUARIUM-LIGHT-6-x-54W-WITH-FREE-LEGS_W0QQitemZ230190820794QQihZ013QQcategoryZ46314QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
    And i have to say that I really like them. It have a wireless remote that you set to when you what the three different sets of the 2 bulbs to go on/off. Although I had some problem getting it to work, but i figuired out that I have to ahve the remote sitting in front of the senour to work and if I move it have have press the set butten again.
    THese lights are made by Catalina Aquarium, which looks like a good company. I have had for almost two month and i happy with my lights. great deal for the money
    They look pretty nice,  the price is definitely right.

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Are any of you using acrylic splash guards?  I suppose one would be necessary if they are mounted on legs.  It the lights are suspended it probably wouldn't be necessary.  I read that the guards reduce par somewhat.

18. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Catalina is a VERY shady company to deal with.
    http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=824797&perpage=&pagenumber=1
    I would look else where.

I ran anywhere from 4 to 6 overdriven 54W bulbs on the old 75g.

I think the TEK is your best bet.

19. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    A 50/50 mix of the 11K and the blue plus. Or one blue plus and one URI super actinic if you like the purpler pinkish look.

20. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By covey on 11/16/2007 7:49 PM
    Catalina is a VERY shady company to deal with.
    http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=824797&perpage=&pagenumber=1
    I would look else where.
    I ran anywhere from 4 to 6 overdriven 54W bulbs on the old 75g.
    I think the TEK is your best bet.
    I'm leaning towards the TEK 6 light system and the Aquatinics 5 light system.  I've read good things about both of them and I like the mounting options and style, the price is almost even.  A little more than I wanted to spend, but isn't that the way it goes with lighting.
    TEK = $545.00 w/bulbs       Aquactinics = $542 w/bulbs