1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Help!! T5 light fixture problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by beckerj3, Feb 24, 2017.

1. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    So my faithful long life T5 fixture is having a problem. The fixture is a 48" Current-USA Outer orbit fixture with 6-54 watt bulbs.

It has 3 ballasts and 2 power cords. One power cord controls the fan and 1 ballast. The other power cord controls the other 2 ballasts. The 4 bulbs on the two ballasts controlled by one of the power cords works just fine.

The other power cord - the fan comes on just fine. Neither of the bulbs light up initially. But after some time (a few minutes to an hour) one of the bulbs lights up. The other bulb does not light up. I have tested (swapped bulbs around) and confirmed that the bulb is good. Initially I thought the problem was with the ballast, but now I'm not so sure. I've taken the unit apart and it is not a simple matter to switch which bulbs are connected to which ballast - so can't test the ballast that way.

Thoughts?????????

2. sjones

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I think your first diagnoses was spot on. Ballasts do funny things sometimes. Pulsing, not starting the lamps, cycling on and off the list goes on and on.

3. Waterrat41 Addicted Reefer GIRS Member

Des moines
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -0
    More than likely a bad ballast. If you've swapped bulbs around and the all the bulbs work in the other places that's probably it. Once in a while you can have a bad connection to the bulb pin or a wire to one of the tombstones (bulb Holder) but with these ballasts that would more than likely result in just the one bulb out. You would also usually see signs of burning or corrosion where the bulb pins make connection in the tombstone, sometimes if this is the case you can wiggle the bulb a little in the holder and it will light.
    Ballasts are pretty generic, one of these would probably fix the problem, 2x54W T5 High-Output Ballast - ATI or Workhorse 5 T5 Ballast - Fulham ,might depend on if one would be a better physical fit than the other. I use a lot of the Fulham ballasts at work and they only seem to last a couple years so I would probably go with the other one if it will fit in the space provided.
    Bruce

4. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    I would check the tombstones but my guess would be the ballasts. I can't find any replacement parts for yours. But if you can fit it in there. Go with the ATI Sunpower ballast in. Best ballasts to buy.

5. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    I would love to use the ATI ballast, but how does one know if the ballasts are compatable or not???? I called BRS yesterday afternoon and asked their tech person if I could use one of their T5 54w ballasts, and they said that I needed to call the manufacturer to see if they were compatable. I've tried calling Sunpack tech support, but only get their voice mail.

Also, when I looked at my ballast, it has 2 red and 2 blue wires coming out one side and then 2 yellow, 1 black and 1 white coming out the other side. Does that impact what is compatable or not?

6. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Ballasts really aren't too special across manufacturers. Like anything the majority probably come out of the same factory with different labeling depending on who they sell it to.
    You should have some kind of label that tells you voltage and specs like that. Make sure those match and it physically will fit and you should be good.

7. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Agree with backx-runner, I would say as long as the specs match and it fits you're good.

8. DNW

Jesup, IA
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    There should be a basic wiring diagram on the ballast itself. Lamps dont care what is supplying the power as long as its the right voltage. May require some basic changes in how/where the wires go, some are in series, some run the lamps parallel. The physical size of the ballast may be different so the mounting holes may not line up, some small self tapping screws will solve that problem.
    The white (neutral) and black (hot/power) will be your incoming power and should match up with the wire colors for the power cord Most likely the 2 red and 2 blue will be the power wires that will go to the same end of the fixture, but to there own lamp holders. The 2 yellow most likely is the neutral will run to the opposite end of the fixture and be connected to both lamp holders.

9. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    Thanks everyone for the feedbzck. It's a big help. I'll write downthe specs listed on the existing ballast and compare with the ati ballast. Then i'll ask about any differences as I won't know what is signigicant.

10. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Whoa, wait! I didn't get my two cents in!! :roflmao: That fixture is old girlfriend so you just need to suck it up and buy a new fixture!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, you're probably pushng your luck on the fixture. Considering it's age, the environment that it has been over and now a 'problem' .... it really is time. Do yourself and your tank a favor, either buy an ATI or Reef Brite T-5 since I think that's what you have been considering. ;);)

11. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    Yes, it is old. And yes, I really should buy a new unit. I just don't want to be forced to make a quick decision now - so was looking if there was a reasonable cost solution that will allow me to evaluate different fixtures/options. I think I would like to try a LED/T5 combo. But, the all-in-one solutions on that are $1800 - $2200 - and I don't think it is worth that extra premium.

12. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    If your looking for different light options. The ATI Sunpower non dimmable is way cheaper. If you want the led look with it. Either add blue reef brite led bars or look into euro aquatic e5 blue bulbs.
    In my experience the ATI Sunpower is best semi cheap option out there. I love my ati fixtures.

13. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Definitely Jeremy! She could even go with a cheaper T5 unit and add the LED strips. My money would first go to the ATI...it's a proven fixture that will grow anything, including her SPS. She could always add the strips later if she wants;) Of course, I agree with Jeremy as it is a great fixture/company.:D

14. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    I bought an ATI sunpower (4 bulb) for my frag tank in December. I like it and know its a good option. The additional challenge I have with the DT is mounting. My current fixtures has legs. But leg mounts don't come with the ATI sunpower. My DT is in my loft which has a vaulted roof ceiling starting from the living room below. So the ceiling height at my tank is a good 7' above where the light fixture needs to hang. So hanging from the ceiling won't be an option.

15. Sporty08

Ankeny
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Is this unit possibly old enough it has a starter?

16. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
  17. Waterrat41 Addicted Reefer GIRS Member

Des moines
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -0
    Hey Jeanette, from what I remember from seeing a couple weeks ago, thought your fixture looked in pretty good shape.Even if it were a little weathered, IMO, 30 - 40 bucks ain't a bad investment that would likely get you a couple more years in which you could then leisurely shop for an upgrade...and I don't think anyone could argue that the setup you have hasn't resulted in a healthy, good looking tank! If you're worried about fitting a ballast that doesn't look identical, I'd be happy to help. As long as the replacement says 120 volt or 120-277 input and states something like "2 x 54w T5" and will physically fit in the space, it can be made to work.
    Bruce

18. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    @Sporty08@Sporty08 - The unit is about 8 years old. :) Not sure what you are asking when you say 'Does it have a starter'

@jeremy@jeremy - Thanks for the link on the mounting brackets. I'll check them out for a possibility with the ATI Sunpower unit.

I looked closer at the ATI and Geismann hybrid units. Besides the large price premium, I question that they would be a cood option for a 48" tank. Both of those units have 3 led modules. That part makes sense. However, the LED unit that is in the middle would be putting its light directly over the tank's center brace. The center brace + the edges on the net top comes to almost 4" in width. I would think that that would block most of the light form the middle LED unit. ??????

This ballast is getting flaky... This afternoon both bulbs are lit on it.....

19. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    So here's a couple pics of my ballast:

DSC07201.JPG

DSC07207.JPG

DSC07196.JPG

The model is Sunpark T5120-254HOMPF. When I search for that I get info that a replacement is U-T5-2/54HC.

Based on input above and my searching I see 3 options:

1) A ballast from Suburban Reef 2x54Watt T-5 Raw Ballast
    This ballast looks like mine. Specs indicate that it is the replacement for my model. Wires look the same as mine.
    Price is $32 + $13 shipping or $45 total

2) A ballast from Shine Retrofits. $21 + $9 shipping = $30
    Sunpark U-2/54T5HO 2 Lamp T5 Programmable Start Ballast

It has the correct replacement # of U-2/54 T5 HO. But it is confusing - title says programmable start. Details say instant start. The wiring doesn't look the same - so I wouldn't know what to do.....

This ballast is also at Nextech Lighting - but out of stock. The description here says that it is the replacement for
    T5120-2/54 HO MPF and has specs listed. Interesting thing is that the pic here shows yellow wires on the right hand side - were as the pic on Shine Retrofits does not. ???? Nextech Lighting : U-2/54T5HO [T5120-2/54HO MPF Replace]

3) Lastly, based on the recommendations above - ATI Ballast. BRS sells an ATI T5 54w ballast - $25 - free shipping
    2x54W T5 High-Output Ballast - ATI
    No wires included. Would need help figuring it out. Also, size wize I would need to make an adjustment as it is 13 or 14" long - and my current ballast is only @10" long. There however is enough space that it could be made to work.

So you electrical techie people out there. Do you think any of the 3 would work?? Feedback?????

20. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    @jeremy@jeremy - Didn't you add LED bars to your set-up? If so, which one? How do you have it mounted? Could you send me a pic??