1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

T5 Bulb recommendations needed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by phishcrazee, Nov 23, 2008.

1. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm using them over a frag/grow-out tank, 2x39watts.  What would you recommend?  Best brand? K rating?  Do I bother with actinics?

2. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok found this on RC, in case anyone else is interested
    LINK to T5 info

3. rc1214b

rc1214b

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would go with one "blue" and one "daylight" something like an actinic+ and an aquablue+.........I run Giesemann for those...you could also look at KZ or aquascience...but with 2 bulbs I'd say one blue and one daylight look would be best

4. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh, I will be getting another 2 bulbs on a 12" wide 16" deep 36" long tank.......so 4 bulbs total.

5. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Or you could go with 1 actinic+ and 1 KZ fiji purple. It will give you more of a blue look than the 10K. Totally up to you on if you care about the color or not. If you want growth, go with 2 10Ks or the daylight bulbs like Ryan suggested.

6. rc1214b

rc1214b

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    is this a retro setup? are they under individual reflectors?

7. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes retro.... I'm going to try and squeeze four individual reflectors in, if it doesn't fit I will have to use one big one, but I'm thinking individual reflectors would reflect more light.  I have one 2 bulb retro kit now and want to get another.

8. rc1214b

rc1214b

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    you might want to give the 2 bulb retro a try first and see how your corals do, honestly you might not need more over that tank, esp if they are just frags. What ballast is running them?

9. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was one of the lucky people that got to go to dinner with Anthony Calfo the night before the Fall Fest. In discussing various factors about lighting, he said that T5's bulbs will not last very long without cooling fans. Just thought I'd share that.

10. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Robyn, I plan on adding a fan to my kit, as it didn't come with one (Sunlight Supply kit).
    Ryan- I originally thought 2 would be plenty, but after reading and reading some more it seems like 4 is the minimum if I want to combine some of the different colors in the spectrum.  If I'm going to be building a simply canopy, I want to make sure I either do it for 4 or 2 right off the bat instead of going back........ I guess if it's way too much light, I could always remove 2 of the bulbs fairly easily.  I don't really know what to expect, as I've never run T5's before.

11. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh, it's a Workhorse ballast....... I know, not the best, but it's what I got /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif

12. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was just catching up on GIRS and found this thread... I don't know if you've ordered your bulbs yet or not but I've had great luck with UVL, with the exception of their AquaSun bulbs, they made my tank look pink. I used ActinicWhite instead.

13. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    ATI bulbs are excellent. I use aquablue and blueplus bulbs.

14. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By tibbs2 on 12/03/2008 11:21 AM
    ATI bulbs are excellent. I use aquablue and blueplus bulbs. I'll second that. I just think the color is awesome.[​IMG]