1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

T-5`s for a 220g system?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by saltwaternewbee, Apr 23, 2009.

1. saltwaternewbee

saltwaternewbee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know i asked about the MH ballasts......but i was thinking about T-5's. Would they be enough to support sps life and a clam in my 220?

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I got the Constellation 72" 14 lamp fixture and my clam is doing very good.

3. saltwaternewbee

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    any pics and a price?

4. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    100% no problem.

If you are in doubt, there are a ton of threads on RC.

The best thing is no heat, lower power. You wont have to worry about running a chiller so that can even save you some bucks.

5. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    go VHO :) more power than t5's and less electricity than MH not sure about heat though

6. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Posted By snowman82 on 04/24/2009 09:53 AM
    go VHO :) more power than t5's and less electricity than MH not sure about heat though
    I would argue that.

T5 -
    When purchasing T5's ensure that you are getting High Output T5's (T5HO). All T5 bulbs must be run on an electronic ballast. T5's have a higher lumen output than a VHO, generate less heat, and are more energy efficient. It has also been reported that T5's last considerably longer, between 2-3 years, with less degrade in lumen output. At only 5/8" in diameter, more bulbs can fit under your tank's canopy.

7. saltwaternewbee

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    xroads....How many bulbs would i need and would i run the icecap 660? Do you have any idea the cost to do a set up?

8. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yes xroads is right on the T'5s, the only draw back is they don't have quite the penetration for a deep tank as the M/H, and you will lose the shimmering affects.

9. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I run the 660's. They overdrive the lights making them brighter. The down side is you have to keep a fan on them & they have a shorter life.

I run 16 on mine, 4 to each ballast. Depending on your tank sizes you may be able to cover it with 12.

The 660's new are around $145, they were $105 at the fall fest, not sure if they will run that special again this fall or not.

Bulbs are usually between $10-$20.

I cant remember the price on the reflectors or end caps, I dont think they were too bad.

10. saltwaternewbee

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    xroads...how deep is your tank

11. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    mine is 80 Long, 30 Wide, & 24 deep.

I have a cap about 2 inches from the bottom that is doing well.

12. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    endcaps will run about 15 shipped a pair if i remember right the reflectors can range depending on if you want a TEK reflector or just a simple one. they have 72" reflectors that will house i think 8 T5's for about 70 bucks.

reflector

http://cgi.ebay.com/72-x-9-5-inch-Electro-white-Reflector_W0QQitemZ180286302639QQihZ008QQcategoryZ46314QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

might be able to get it cheaper somewhere else, or you can go indivual on the reflectors (best way IMO) so that way you get the most out of every bulb.

http://cgi.ebay.com/36-T5-ll-Tek-Retrofit-Reflector-NEW-DESIGN_W0QQitemZ120210311467QQihZ002QQcategoryZ46314QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247#ebayphotohosting

sorry for my misunderstanding on the VHO and T5's :)

13. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    You guys kill me! LOL, Your VHO and T-5 bulb count sounds like our troubled economy! Too many workers for 1 job! Did I read it right 16 bulbs! 32 endcaps! 4 ballast! No Shimmer! 1 ballast 2 bulb setup, priceless!

14. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hey i got my shimmer haha just using VHO's for actinics :)

15. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Posted By billbigsbe1 on 04/26/2009 07:27 AM
    You guys kill me! LOL, Your VHO and T-5 bulb count sounds like our troubled economy! Too many workers for 1 job! Did I read it right 16 bulbs! 32 endcaps! 4 ballast! No Shimmer! 1 ballast 2 bulb setup, priceless!
    Why is it that if someone does something different, they have to be dead wrong?
    I did it because I had 15 linear ft of tank to light.  It would have taken me 6 400W MH to cover it.  I decided to go with T-5s for the lower electric bill, less heat, and the ability to change your color look by changing a couple bulbs.
    Plus if I went with MH, I still would have had to have t-5 or VHO for antinics anyway.

16. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Im actually thinking of doing a big DIY project and doing the LED build thats on RC

17. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It just seems to me that 14+ bulbs is a little redundant. Have you ever thought of a couple of 400s on a light rail? JJ is the man to talk to about that...

18. dzabler

dzabler Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I have T 5's on my tank and i think they are awesome.  My tank is not deep so I dont need the depth of the MHs.  If you go with the T 5's you should should put as many as you can across the top.  I have 6 on top pf my 46 bow and i have a couple of  SPS growing like crazy.  Also with the SPS and the T 5's usually you will want to put the SPS towards the top of the tank and with the MH you can put the SPS anywhere.