1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Switching from PC to t5`s

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by beckerj3, Jun 25, 2009.

1. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +614 / 2 / -0
    I'm also thinking of switching to t5's - but from a PC system.  My tank is only 75 gal (unfortunately not a 120 or 125 gal tank that some of you have).  I've been leaning toward a 6 bulb system with individual reflectors, instead of the 8 bulb system with a single reflector.   Do you think a 6 bulb system with individual reflectors would pretty much equal an 8 bulb system with a single reflector?  Also if you guys are running an 8 bultb system on a 120 or 125, shouldn't a 6 bulb light (t5) be sufficient for a 75 gal?  Recommendations???? Thoughts???

2. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    a 6 bulb should be awesome for your 75 just got to take into consideration how wide the unit will be. some units can be kinda wide. i would definately do individual refelctors though. 6 bulb would be awesome and you'll love the more intense light and better coloring. i would look into what Eric "llebcire" did for his 72g bowfront he used a catalina setup that was about 150 bucks i think, might want to look into those :)

3. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I just upgraded from VHOs to T5s and there was a ton of difference. I have 4 T5s and one of the VHO's on my 72 gallon and it's great plenty. I think Ice Caps T5s are the best in their category because their 660 ballast is wired to overdrive the lights to 85watts for their 4' bulbs. You can get a lot more light for the space, just make sure you get a nice size fan because they get quite hot. I am using a fan from an old air hockey table and it works great, plus it was free, so it's even better!

4. vikubz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I have a 4x54 t5 fixture and it is way plenty for my softies and lps. I also got a catalina fixture and it's working great.

5. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0

I got a deal on the Catalina when it was $169 - now they're back @ $275.

http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/pro...d00493b203
    54w x 4 is quite a bit more light than most people give it credit for.  In terms of PAR, 216w T5 is about equal to 400w MH, but you would need to line up several 400's to get the same output as the MH is more of a direct light, hence the shimmer lines, whereas the T5 is uniform across the tank.  There are threads on RC where people are geting better PAR @ the bottom of their tanks w/T5 than they were measuring w/MH's.
    I'm getting great growth from corals that need intense lighting, i.e. montis, mili's, procillipora, birdsnest, slimer, etc. and have had to reduce the photoperiod as I was experiencing some bleaching.
    Current photoperiod is actinic (460nm) from 3pm to 11pm and 10k's from 4 pm to 10pm.
    -Eric

6. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +614 / 2 / -0
    So are you guys saying that a 4 bulb T5 system (with individual reflectors) would be enought for a 75 g tank??

7. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +614 / 2 / -0
    Oh - I currently have a 4 bulb PC light fixture.  Any guesses has to what percentage increased light one might get with the T5's?

8. John50

John50 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I also have questions on this subject. I currently just have a single dual T5 fixture on our 75. I know I need more wattage so I was thinking about the most cost effective way to add more and if I add more T5's or some VHO?? From what a lot of you are saying maybe just more T5's? And what is the best to go with as far as fixture?

9. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i would just do all T5's wouldn't add any VHO's cause it wont help your cause all that much, VHO are mainly used for accent lighting i think with metal halides not as main lighting for a reef tank, for a FOWLR or just a FO VHO's on their own would be fine as would just a NO T12 light