1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

sump

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fmsill, Jun 14, 2009.

1. fmsill Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I have a few questions on building a sump out of a 100 gallon rubbermade stock tank. I want some kind of mechanical filtration where the water comes into the sump. Could i just hang a few filter socks on the inlet tubes but will the socks plug and overflow to easily. I have a reef ready 210 with dual overflows. do i need to make some tye of silencer for the incoming water to keep it quieter and disperse bubbles
     I also want a place to grow macroalgae im also thinking of of a deep sand bed as well, how do i partition the sump so the macro and sand dont get sucked into my return pump blueline 50x. I want to use as few pumps as possible.
    My skimmer will also be in the sump how do i keep microbubbles from getting back into the display tank.
    Im going to put live rock in the sump for biological. I have roughly 140 lbs of live rock in the main tank how much should i have in the sump and does it need light on it?
    Where do i buy eggcrate material like people use for frag shelfs?
    I know ive asked alot of questions but i want to try to get this right the first time so i avoid problems. Any help would be apreciated.
    Thanks Brian

2. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    if you plan on growing macro then yes you will need a light, nothing special really. just a daylight bulb, or if you have a basic flourscent light from an old tank that will work too. i am not sure on how much more rock i would put in the sump. thats the only questoins i can answer as the rest of them i want to know myself cause i'm doing the same thing :)

3. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    When I went to pick up my tank, the owner showed me his new setup which I thought was awesome. He had a rubbermade tub as his sump and just had one of those boxes that 2 liter sodas come shipped in with a huge pad of filter media in the middle of it. He had his overflow dumping onto that, which I thought was clever. Easy to swap out/ clean. The tub was probably about 200 gallons but the concept can remain the same for aby size, really. I am thinking of doing something like that for my sump.
    Also, Lowe's sells the aggcrate material in their roofing section, of all places. Kinda expensive though (at least I thought so) at 12 bucks a sheet which is about 4' x 6' in size. Not too bad if you have a large frag tank, but not the most economical for a tiny tank LOL

4. fmsill Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    who did you buy your tank from and where does he live?  just wondering if maybe i could take a look at his or someone elses so i can get some ideas on how i want to  build it

5. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I bought it from Steve Ainsworth in Coralville. He hadn't heard of the club, but I told him to check it out. He's a really nice guy, at the very least I could probably get him to email me some pics or upload them here if you like.