1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Sump/Ref Design "Take 2"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ReefNinja, Apr 15, 2009.

1. ReefNinja GIRS Member

Cedar Falls, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks to all who gave some great suggestions to my first design. Here is my second attempt; I would love any suggestions and or recommendations. Also do I need to setup a sock filter if I the drain going into live rock rubble and a good protein skimmer? What are your thoughts???
    I am trying to setup a sump design that will be mostly "self running" and little maintenance on my part. Thanks again, you fellow reefers are a great help [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. h2so4hurts

h2so4hurts Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Do they sell 100% submersible pH probes? I know the ones we use in lab are not submersible and only about 1" of the tip should be in the liquid. Maybe reef probes are different. WHy'd you stick the skimmer before the fuge? I'd let the bugs in your fuge have first crack at the nutrients before letting the skimmer takes care of them. Otherwise it looks nice :)

3. ReefNinja GIRS Member

Cedar Falls, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I use the PinPoint PH probes which according to thier website:
    Probe should be inserted about 1 inch into the liquid to be measured. Probe may be totally submerged if desired.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

4. Anna

Anna Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't put the temp probe right next to the heater, and I also wouldn't put rock rubble in the first chamber - that will just end up being a huge detritus trap.

5. ReefNinja GIRS Member

Cedar Falls, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks about the temp placement...  That was a blond moment  [​IMG]
    Do you think I should just leave out the first chamber?  I am concerned about the large detritus going into the skimmer, or
    is that OK?  I could get a filter sock but that would be a level of care that I was trying to aviod.   Thanks

6. Anna

Anna Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Are you trying to get the skimmer section to run at a lower level than the refugium? If so, the water is going to have to get higher than that final baffle (left refugium "wall") in the skimmer section in order to make it into the refugium.

I let my skimmer take care of all detritus, and whatever it misses, I siphon out occasionally.

7. ReefNinja GIRS Member

Cedar Falls, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Thanks,  I think I will just make all of the baffle walls the same height...   That should take care of the water flow
    issue, I do beleive???
    Thanks again

8. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You may want to place a value on the output as well.  This will cover you if your pump that goes on there moves more water then your overflow can handle.  If this does not happen then you can leave the value full open.  Plus it is always a good Idea to be able to shut off all piping that moves water.

9. ReefNinja GIRS Member

Cedar Falls, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Ok, I have taken all of the changes you have made and made a new drawing...  

- Moved Temp Sensor
    - Leveled all Baffle Walls
    - Ball Valve on Output side
    - Removed Live rock rubble and chamber
    I am not to sure about having the drain going directly into the skimmer chamber, but I guess siphoning the waste
    on the bottom would be easier then changing a sock media all the time.  Also having more stuff go into the refugium
    may make things blossom in there...

[​IMG]

10. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i have basicaly the same setup minus the first bubble trap and mine is doing just fine. i just wish i would of made my first chamber bigger and my fuge smaller. oh also i have no valves on mine right now /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif first time using/building a sump, i had no clue exactly what i was doing, but knew it wouldn't be permanent.

11. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    One small detail, the temp sensor might be close enough to the return pump that your readings may be off. Slightly, I know, but if you are putting the work in it might be worth noting. I would consider putting it nearer the skimmer.
    EDIT: It helps reading subsequent posts before replying, LOL Seems someone already suggeted this and you changed it :)