1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Sump panel let loose!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JByrd, Jan 29, 2008.

1. JByrd

JByrd

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Tonight one on my sump panels let loose.  Very unhappy at this point and time.  It is one of the refugium section panels.  currently I have placed basicaly a band aid on it by using some egg crate and wedging it upright.  I need some options of what would be the best way to fix this.  It's an All glass 30 long aquarium with acrylic baffles.

2. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    i'm assuming you didn't use aquarium silicone? You'll most likely have to drain and dry the sump and re silicone with an aquarium silicone

3. JByrd

JByrd

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I did use aquarium silicone. All Glass Silicone to be exact.

4. JByrd

JByrd

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How long could I leave my tank without a main pump running with only some powerheads.

5. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    years.

6. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The problem is that silicone doesn't bond well with acryllic. You'd be better off using glass panels.

-JB

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I 2nd glaspie's post.

It is best to use glass, but more silicone - a nice, thick bead built up on either side - should do as well.

8. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry to hear of your problems, what a nightmare!
     This is why I decided against constructing my sump and letting Glasscages do it.

9. Saddoris(DSMpunk)

Saddoris(DSMpunk)

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    What about using super glue gel to bond acrylic to glass? Ive never tried it, but it seems like it would work.

10. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well Saddoris, I don't know about you, but I don't think I'd risk thousands of dollars with a fix of superglue.

11. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Posted By jbrunken on 01/29/2008 10:16 PM
    The problem is that silicone doesn't bond well with acryllic. You'd be better off using glass panels.

-JB
    I had the same problem. My acrylic baffles didnt' work out. Replaced them with glass baffles.

12. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I used acrylic baffles in my glass sump that I had and never had a problem. I used the GE silicone II Doors and windows. The trick is you're supposed to sand the edges of the acrylic to help it bond better. Superglue won't work. Glass and acrylic don't really bond great but I never had a problem with mine the way I did it.

13. JByrd

JByrd

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    O.K. when I fix my sump which I had planned in the future anyway because I was not happy with the lay out. If I use glass baffles which I may very well do now, how thick of glass would be best suited for this application? Do I also use tempered glass?

14. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    get plain window glass, i had to hit mine with a hammer a few times to break it so i could fit my skimmer in the sump, small peices of glass are very strong.
    just make sure you measure really good,better to be 1/16th small, use toothpics at the corners to stabilize the glass while siliconing it.

you cant get tempered glass, it is special order.