1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Sump Noise, HELP!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Philby, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Now onto my LAST problem prior to filling with SW (I hope anyway...)
    One if my drains (the 1" not the 1.5") is draining a lot of air bubbles into my sump and creating a LOT of noise as the bubbles break to the surface.
    At first I thought this was related to my dursos, specifically the hole in the top, but not I'm not so sure since it's only happening on 1...and I played around with making it smaller and it didn't change anything (I don't want to make it bigger until I know that's the issue)
    does anyone have any ideas??
    you can consult my thread on RC if you think pics of my plumbing would help you diagnose my issue...most of the plumbing is on pg 4.

2. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    drilled tank, overflow, or built in overflow

3. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    if you are talking about the pvc going into your sump and it is under water and then big bubbles are coming out of the end of it making alot of noise, this is what yoiu need.

look at the pipe in this picture and notice the slices in the white pvc in the picture below.
    the slices allow the air bubbles to escape at a much smaller size.
    i made one on my sump for the same reason.
    just take your pvc tubing thats under water level and put slices into it with a table or chop saw.
    [​IMG]

4. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know some people may advise against it but I would put a ball valve on the 1" drain since you already have the 1.5" drain for an emergency. Putting a filter sock on it will also help lessen the noise.

5. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This is a built in overflow.

SeannDenise - you just posted a picture of my sump! or at least the same brand because mine looks like it's a little bigger and has 2 of those PVC drains on it (and it already has the slots cut into it). It doesn't have the bioballs or the sponge filter in it tho (Usually I wouldn't use a premade sump, but Brad had it sitting in his garage and it fit in my stand perfectly and had a cover which I needed)

a filter sock is going to be almost impossible to get on (if you refer to the pic above, there's not a lot of access to the area the water drains into)

a ball or gate valve could be added - but what is that going to do to reduce the amount of air draining with the water?

6. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I know I told you to drill another hole in your durso but I think Sone may be right on this one. Try adding a ball valve on the drain line. I had one on mine that I had to adjust. I barely had to close it and it helped that problem out.

Hard to remember all the little stuff like that when you don't have it sitting here in front of you!

7. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    that's OK got2lb - that's why I wanted more than one person's opinion!
    I would still like to understand what the "problem" is that gets fixed by restricting the drain...

8. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i just looked at your pics on reef central, im no expert in this area but in my mind your larger plumbing up above is trapping the air bubbles in the small pipe above not allowing the durso to work?
    seems like alot of flow up above for the smaller plumbing below to handle, in other words the small pipe is full of water and if a bubble gets in there the water pressure from above is forcing the water thru it so fast that the bubble cant float to the top and out your dorso.
    its trapping the bubble, drains shouldnt be full of water they should be half full allowing a airway all the way thru the pipe so it can just fall, you are pulling the air making a syphnon in the pvc.
    plumbing below is too small.
    i would bet that if you restrict you return pump the problem will go away.

9. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I think it basically slows down the flow forcing the air out the top through the vent holes.

Sounds good anyway! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

10. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Philby on 12/02/2007 6:28 PM
    a filter sock is going to be almost impossible to get on (if you refer to the pic above, there's not a lot of access to the area the water drains into)
    a ball or gate valve could be added - but what is that going to do to reduce the amount of air draining with the water?You could skip the first chamber all together and drain into the second chamber so that you can use a filter sock.  If you insist on using it, just extend some PVC down further.  Instead of cutting slits into it, drilling holes work just as good in relieving backpressure.
    Yes, the ball valve would restrict the flow at the end.  By doing this, water will build up inside the drain.  Right now, it looks like free fall from when the water drops from the top of the durso all the way to the drain.

11. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Philby on 12/02/2007 6:44 PM
    I would still like to understand what the "problem" is that gets fixed by restricting the drain...Getting rid of the air?  A 1" drain can handle a maximum of 600GPH.  You posted in your thread that your return pump is putting out 500GPH after head loss.  You're getting air in your drain because it's not completely flooded at 600GPH.  By putting a ball valve on it, you would be restricting the drain to about 500GPH.  In turn, this will eliminate the air going down with the water.

12. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OK that makes sense Sone, and I just remembered something that was happening when I was playing around with this earlier today that may further reinforce your explanation.

98% of the time the bottom drain is handling everything (and not flooded), but every once in awhile the water level rises and there's not bubbles/noise. When the level rises to the backup and it kicks in then the level falls back to the 1" and the bubbles/noise returns.

Looks like I'll have to go pick up a valve tomorrow!

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    sump noise my sump sounds like a watter fall loud loud  nothing i can do abought it thinking of taken if oof and ruuuning a closed unit

14. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Success!!

thanks everyone who had input - especially Sone and got2lb, because the ball valve did the trick and I now have NO bubbles making it to the sump. I ran it for about 4 hours last night and the only sounds was the pumps which aren't that loud, and should be further quieted when I build sides/back on my stand to hide the plumbing.

I'm gonna be making up SW tonite and hopefully aquascaping!!

Keith - I think you need to work on your sump noise a little...where are you having noise? perhaps myself or others can help you out!

15. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Cool!  I'm glad you got it to work.  Otherwise I would look like a fool giving out useless tips.  /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif src="/site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif" align=absMiddle border=0>  Keep us posted on your tank!

16. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Will do Sone - once I get the LR aquascaped I'm gonna take some pictures and update my thread on RC, and start a thread here so we can have more than 1 build thread on these forums!