1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Sump advice needed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by peircer, Feb 27, 2008.

1. peircer

peircer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, two part question:
    I'm moving into my new house this weekend and part of the new house is my new 125 with overflows.  I'm going to have a 75 gallon sump.  The sump is an upgrade, because the current setup only has a 40 gallon fuge where the skimmer is now, the fuge has a constant height for the skimmer.
    So the questions:
    Any recommendations for a return pump that I can find at a store locally (I'm in Cedar Rapids), I need it Saturday when I set up the new tank?
    How should I make the baffle in the sump, I need the baffle to maintain a constant water level for the skimmer, and it's standard 75 gallon glass tank.  Silicon a piece of glass in?  The water levels on either side of the baffle probably won't be equal, so I'm worried about stability.
    Thanks

2. jvonthun

jvonthun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You can silicon a peice of glass in to serperate your skimmer section from your refugium.  You will need your overflow to drain into your skimmer section in order for the water height in that section to remain constant.  It will always be the height of the peice of glass you put in.  
    As far as purchasing a decent return pump,  I don't think there is a store in CR that sells anything but Penguin and Rio stuff which is not really what you want for your reef.

3. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I would look into aquacave.com for a pump, because they are located so close to us they have very fast shipping. It is usually next day. I would think a mag9 or mag12 would do it depending on how much head you have. Will the sump be directly below the tank our in the basement?? If its going in the basement you will need a pressure rated pump.

4. peircer

peircer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ok on the piece of glass, I suppose I should do that tonight so it'll have cured enough by Saturday.
    Pump - do mag's hold up well in saltwater?  I can get one of those.  Heck, I've got a mag36 I could use (*ducks thrown objects, yeah probably a little too powerful....*). [​IMG]  I agree about not wanting to use a Rio or a Penguin, I haven't had great luck with them so far.  The sump is directly behind the tank.  The tank is in wall.

5. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Instead of using a mag 9.5 I'd use a OR3500. I switched out a mag 12 for one and it was a lot quieter, less heat into the water, and it uses less electricity. Either that or shell out the money for a eheim 1262. Premiumaquatics usually has pretty fast shipping as well.

6. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    just wondering what the problem is with rio, i am using nothing but and never had a problem is some type of wrong medal in them?

7. jvonthun

jvonthun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Rio pumps have a reputation for running hot, leaching electricity, and having high failure rates.  If you are using them without any of these symptoms, then I guess you got some of their better pumps.

8. CyberJester

CyberJester Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By jvonthun on 02/28/2008 9:35 AM

Rio pumps have a reputation for running hot, leaching electricity, and having high failure rates.  If you are using them without any of these symptoms, then I guess you got some of their better pumps.
    I am not trying to hijack a thead, but i did not know this about Rio pumps. 
    Could you guys tell me what the best submersible pumps are.  I have a undersand flow system that is currently running off of 3 Rio pumps in my tank.  I also have a submersible that I am using in my sump for a return.
    That explains why I have LCD lighting and have no need for a heater. [​IMG]

9. jvonthun

jvonthun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I only have one regular pump in my system, and that is my return pump.  It's a Mag 9.  I don't really have experience with any other pumps, but ocean runner and quiet one seem to have decent reputations.  For smaller pumps you can't beat Maxi-Jets.

10. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By fnvarner on 02/28/2008 8:57 AM
    just wondering what the problem is with rio, i am using nothing but and never had a problem is some type of wrong medal in them?[​IMG] I think Rio's just had a bad year a few years back and people have a stigma against them now.  I've had 3 running for the last year now with no troubles.  Seio power heads were reguarded as good quality before the new wider flow powerheads came out and seios are from the same manufacturer.[​IMG]

11. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0

Call Bill in manchester, he said he had a bunch of used stuff right now, I don't know if he will have a pump or not but a while back he made my brother a great deal on a Iwaki pump.

As far as the sump goes, are you going to have some sort of top off system? If not and you leave a small chamber that all the evaporation water comes out of, you may have to add water very often. Not sure how to explain that more clear, hope it makes sence.