1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Summer Role Call!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JB, Jul 3, 2008.

1. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Here!
    /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif
    So what is everyone up to this summer?  I've been neglecting my tank a bit over the last couple of months, but I'm starting to turn my attention back to my tank.   I'm definitely looking forward to our next club event.
    -JB

2. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i just got new T5 bulbs from UVL. they make the corals look really great, but the "Super Actinic" bulbs make my tank look pink. I think I may replace one of them with an ATI Blue Plus bulb. And i just switched to seachem reef salt, doing my first water change with it tonight.
    my RBTA split.
    and i'm working on adding blue corals to my tank..... proving hard to find though.
    I also bought Ryan's 120, i got it cleaned up and i'll be setting it up to replace my 75 soon.

hey JB..... do a water change.

3. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    50 views and only 1 reply? Seems almost everyone is MIA.

4. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Sorry man I have been working on the house as it was half destroyed. Since the basement is down to bare walls again I decided to expand the fish room
    by 3 feet. I am going to order 2 240 wides this fall & have a SPS tank & a LPS tank. I am going to install an air exchanger to control humidity.

I am looking forward to see the difference in your tank from last winter when I saw it last.

5. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've been here. Just a few plans this summer remodeling the 1st floor bathroom.
    As for the tank I just upgraded the lights and added another 2 T5's. I went all ATI lamps 3 Blueplus 2 Aquablue specials and 1 Procolor. I really like the look and love the dusk to dawn effect with the 2 blue plusses. I also just installed two new Vortech M40w's pretty happy with them. I've recently changed my display from LPS to SPS dominant.
    The wife wants a bigger tank too so I'm going to be looking for a 60" or make a 66" tank. I wish my wall space was 4" wider to fit a 6' tank. She also gave me the go ahead to plumb the display into my basement for a sump down there.

6. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Craig,

Sorry to hear that your house got hit by the flood. That really sucks but it sounds like you're making the best of it. Dual 240's sounds absolutely awesome, I'd definitely have to come up and check that out once you have them up and running.

My tank isn't much different really, many of my SPS colonies are starting to get pretty big. I really neglected the tank for a few months in the late fall, early summer and it was starting to show, but after some close attention, things are really perking up quickly.

My next project will be adding a frag tank to my system. I have a 29 bow front that's drilled and ready to go. I just need to build some kind of overflow box to skim the surface and more importantly I need to figure out what I want for lighting over the tank. I have a lot of questions that I want to ask the club regarding the tank, but I'm holding off until activity within the club picks up again.

I know that everyone is busy this time of year, I just hate to see the club so quite. I'm just trying to post a message now and then just to make sure that there is at least a little bit of activity on the site.

-JB

7. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'm still here JB! Too much to do too little time. I have been concentrating on the system though, just not reef trakker. I am remodeling part of my basement for the 240 I bought a month ago. I also have upgraded my ACII to an AC3, it should be here tomorrow. DIY skimmer is kicking butt but I still ordered a bigger pump and have to rebuild the skuimmer to fit it.
    Are you still using Reef Trakker?

8. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've got some tank projects that I need to get done, but I've been enjoying the weather so much that I've keep putting them off.

I've got to get my Kalk reactor and auto-topoff hooked up so my I can better control my water parameters and hopefully that will help get rid of some of the hair algae and cyano I've got in my tank (I suppose a large WC would help that as well...)

I recently got a new PH meter for my ACII and need to get that calibrated and online. I still have ReefTrakker Joel, although I've still not resolved the issue I emailed you about. Unfortunately I've been having trouble with the PC that its installed on (got a Mac version of ReefTrakker??) and so I haven't been able to concentrate on getting that issue resolved.

I also got an additional reflector, endcaps and IC660 so I can upgrade from 4x39W over my tank to 5x39W T5s. I bought 2 extra bulbs that are different than anything I currently have so I can play around and see if I find a lighting combination I like better than what I have now (which I like a lot, but as its my first combo I might just not know what I'm missing)

I'm hoping a combination of the Kalk reactor and additional lighting will help my coral color back up to how it looked when I first got some of it. Most of my polyps are still vibrantly colored but the "stalk" of some of my SPS is much browner than I know it can be. My coral is all growing which is a good sign, so I know its healthy and I'm just not providing whatever it needs to color up nicely.

Happy summer to all and my thoughts are with those affected by flooding...

9. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I too am still around. I have not had much time to type, but now that the new clinic is open I will have a little more time to post to the board and try to dream up a location for a tank here in the office.

10. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am still around. Working on getting stuff together to put up my 40 breeder for a honeycomb or blue dot puffer only tank.
    I got a new dog (Pug-Zu).
    I am trying to sell my truck without much success.
    And I am still waiting on a 75 for my main tank so that I can get me one of them there tang things.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ha HA! I'm not sure if it's a downgrade or not, but I've gone from a 120 with a massive skimmer and 800 watts of light to a 50 with a CSS125 skimmer, an itty bitty 250w DE pendant, and an AC3 AND a 24 nano in my office with an unidentified skimmer (I built one I thought seemed small - it's a little bigger than the CSS - oops), an itty bitty 150w DE pendant, and a reefkeeper2 on its way.

I'm also not sure why ha HA! seemed fitting, but it felt good so I went with it.

12. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By ryansholl on 07/07/2008 11:54 AM
    ha HA! I'm not sure if it's a downgrade or not, but I've gone from a 120 with a massive skimmer and 800 watts of light to a 50 with a CSS125 skimmer, an itty bitty 250w DE pendant, and an AC3 AND a 24 nano in my office with an unidentified skimmer (I built one I thought seemed small - it's a little bigger than the CSS - oops), an itty bitty 150w DE pendant, and a reefkeeper2 on its way.
    I'm also not sure why ha HA! seemed fitting, but it felt good so I went with it.What'd you do with all your fish?? especially your tangs??

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    They seem to be extremely happy with a 3' water run in front of Koralia 4s. I never did have a lot of fish, so they fit nicely.

14. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Here! I haven't been doing much with the tank at all. I've been out of town a lot lately and I just feed the tank and do water changes when I can. I suppose it's good that I am keeping my hands out of the tank though. Things are doing fine but still not growing as fast as I would like it. I suppose it has something to do with my relaxed husbandry(water changes, testing parameters, feeding daily) skills during the summer. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

Anyway I'm still here and I hope those who haven't reported is doing well.