1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Substrates & Skimmers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guest, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What is the thinking today on substrates?  Use them or not and what kinds?  Also, what kind of skimmer would anybody recommend for inside the 37 gallon tank, no room on the outside for one.  There might be 2 inches between the top of the tank and the canopy so I might be able to hang one on the back side.  Thanks

2. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    This is one of those discussions you could compare to a discussion about religion or politics. Everyone has there own "theory" or "position" on the matter. It really just breaks down to what you like and what you plan to keep in the tank. Alot of SPS keepers go BB because it's alot easier to get the colors without dealing with the extra nutrients. Some like the challenge or have the cash to maintain the tank or upgrade to an awesome skimmer to help with the excess wastes. I've ran both, personally I like the look of a sand bed if I'm running soft corals, it's just something that seems to fit. When I ran an SPS tank I preferred BB, mainly because it's alot easier to keep the nitrates in check. So go with your eye, if it likes sand do sand, if it likes white starboard go with that. As for a skimmer...again depends on what you plan on keeping. SPS need good clean water, a good skimmer is going to be a must. Softies...a decent skimmer should do it. I will say pre-plan, alot of people buy for the moment and don't think ahead. Softies might be cool today and you might want to dabble in SPS next month.

3. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    well put

4. iowareef

iowareef Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I like the look of sand but had a hard time getting the water quality I would need for SPS.  Now I am using the DIY Sulfur Denitrator and a good Skimmer.  Hope that allows sufficent compensation.

5. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
     Softies might be cool today and you might want to dabble in SPS next month.
    Who would ever change their mind that frequently /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif
    I love the look of sand, but I've scratched too many glass tanks from it getting stuck in my mag floats.  My newest tank is BB and I'm loving it.  Every water change I syphon up all the snail poo that lands in the corner.. it works well

6. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think tunze makes in-tank skimmers that work well.  They are around $300 though.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~action~view~idProduct~TZ5331~idCategory~FIPSISVSOT~category~Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies-Protein_Skimmers-In_Sump-Venturi-250+_Gallons~vendor~.html

If you have 4-5" behind the tank you can get a hang on one.  My aquac remora seems to be working well  and I'm fairly happy with it.  They run about $80 used or $170 new.
    http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage~PageAlias~protein_skimmers_aquac_remora_pro.html

A lot of people also like the coralife needle wheel skimers which are hang on and reasonably priced.
    http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~SearchStr~~action~view~idProduct~ES33000~idCategory~FIPSISNW~category~Coralife_Super_Skimmer_Needle_Wheel___up_to_65_Gallon_Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies_Protein_Skimmers_In_Sump_Venturi_With_Needle_Wheel~vendor~.html