1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Substrate?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CREYNOLDS, Aug 10, 2008.

1. CREYNOLDS

CREYNOLDS

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What are you guys that have softies and sps corals tanks using for substrate? Iam setting this 56 gallon up and wanted to know the best stuff to use? Thanks!

2. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have southdown sand I had from a number of years ago

eins

3. CREYNOLDS

CREYNOLDS

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I mean what kind should I use fla crushed, criba sea agragite fine sand or the med sand. There is just so much stuff out there what is the best for the money.In my big tank I used white sand and I hate it! It always looks like crap. Should I use a crush of some kind or use a fine sand agian?

4. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    its a matter of preference I guess...I would get a good quality aragonite sand with whatever you choose. I like the looks of a finer sand myself...like I said preference ...

Just get good quality!

eins

5. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'd not use crushed coral. I've read to many things about it trapping nuetrients raising nitrates and phosphates. I currently have a fine grade white sand. I kinda wish I had a med. to larger grain sand. The fine stuff blows around to much with higher flow.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    "trapping nutrients" is kind of misleading. Any sand bed will trap the crap in the tank, with the difference being that crushed coral doesn't offer the surface area or anaerobic conditions necessary for denitrification. Useless detail, just thought I'd throw it in there /DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

Will also tack on a vote for a cheap, fine aragonite sand, but just as einsteins said it's all a matter of personal preference.