1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Stand design advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xroads, Nov 11, 2007.

1. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I started planning my stand today.  I wanted to make it about 5 inches bigger then the actual tank to have a nice ledge to stand on or place stuff on.  Has anyone done this.  For the base I was going to use a piece of Plywood.  Do you just drill holes where you need a pipe ran through?  Gonna make it out of 2 x 6.  Space the cross braces 12" on center?
    125 Gallon tank.
    Thx
    Craig

2. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You should be able to just drill through for plumbing. The majority of the weight should be supported by the frame work of the stand, unless you have an acrylic tank which needs to have the whole bottom evenly supported.

3. mnballard

mnballard

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Just a thought for your legs, I just built a stand for my 120 gal (way overbuilt).  I found threaded inserts to make adjustable legs out of for leveling the stand precisely.  You drill a 1/2" hole in the bottom where you want a leg, pound this insert into it and it makes a threaded hole.  Then you use a 3/8" bolt with a nut threaded all the way up to the head, thread this bolt into threaded hole insert and adjust with a wrench from below.  When you have it exactly where you want it, take another wrench and lock the nut against the insert and it is locked solid and will not move.  I put 8 around the bottom of my stand so that I could level the stand on our wavy concrete floor and it was very easy to level. 

I havn't seen this anywhere, just tinkered around with it myself. 

4. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That is a cool idea. I was just wondering how I was going to level my tank on a concrete floor too.

5. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Awesome idea. Where do I get the inserts?

6. mnballard

mnballard

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Any hardware store should have them, only cost around thirty cents apiece.

7. mnballard

mnballard

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Any hardware store should have them, only cost around thirty cents apiece.

8. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By mnballard on 11/12/2007 7:49 AM

Just a thought for your legs, I just built a stand for my 120 gal (way overbuilt).  I found threaded inserts to make adjustable legs out of for leveling the stand precisely.  You drill a 1/2" hole in the bottom where you want a leg, pound this insert into it and it makes a threaded hole.  Then you use a 3/8" bolt with a nut threaded all the way up to the head, thread this bolt into threaded hole insert and adjust with a wrench from below.  When you have it exactly where you want it, take another wrench and lock the nut against the insert and it is locked solid and will not move.  I put 8 around the bottom of my stand so that I could level the stand on our wavy concrete floor and it was very easy to level. 

I havn't seen this anywhere, just tinkered around with it myself. 
    Thats a great idea.  I wish I would of thought of this before I filled my 55 up the first time.  It was slightly off level and the center brace broke with my boy standing right in front of it.  Scared the hell out of me . Luckly the glass held with a 1/2" bow in it.