1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Staggered Lighting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guest, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a fluorescent lighting system (with night LEDs) It is possible to stagger the lights to turn on and I have read a few articles on tanks that turn on the A lights an hour or so before the B lights and then turn the B lights off an hour before the A lights. Is there anything more than an aesthetic reason for this?

2. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Simulating the natural light cycle of sunrise and sunset.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I understand what it simulates, but I didn't know if there was a chemical/biological reason other than it being pretty for me to watch.

4. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The closer you can get to a natural environment, the healthier it will be for your livestock. If you get things close enough, you can even get corals to spawn on certain days of the year.

Many of us use controllers to keep our lights, temp and moon cycle as close to "natural" as possible.

-JB

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hum.... so, how do you regulate the moon cycle? is it an issue of just setting it to turn off on new moons? or is it some kind of a super smart dimer that slowly changes it with the phases of the moon?

6. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    It's a function of our controllers. The moon cycle can be simulated with dimable bulbs or LED's.

Most of us use the controllers built by Neptune Systems: http://www.neptunesys.com/

-JB

7. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't mean to hijack the thread, but have any of you had corals spawn in your aquariums? That would be pretty cool to see.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I received an unfortunate email from Neptune Systems, kinda a bummer that their lunar simulator only works with their LEDs and not with the Coralife lights that I already have. Good thing for me I'm dating an engineer. I'll see if there is a workaround ha ha.