1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

SPS Tank

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deleted member 46, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    holy freakin cream of wheat. that is niiiiceee

3. Deleted member 46

Deleted member 46 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It almost looks fake it is so nice. If it is not fake I really need to learn German to find out what he is doing.

4. covey

covey

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Its Iwan's new tank his old one "click altes Riff" in the link was featured in Coral's tank of the month. Its a modified pro-biotic system. Part Zeovit part Prodobio. Never did here why he had to start over.

5. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Bens'
    Go to babelfish.altavista.com and paste the web address into the translate line. It translates this page very well.

6. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've admired Iwan's tanks for awhile.  When I ordered my last T5 bulbs I basically ordered the same ones he uses.  He also says that T5 bulbs should be changed every 6 months.

7. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice, reminds me of Easter /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif Impressive clams, they're huge.......

8. Anna

Anna Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I love Iwan's tank! Some of the nicest European tanks are T5 lit - kind of interesting!

9. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By annamarie421 on 02/05/2008 7:10 PM
    I love Iwan's tank! Some of the nicest European tanks are T5 lit - kind of interesting!
    many of the top tanks start fads and follow fads.  need to know the whole history before matching any single part to their success as a whole.

10. Anna

Anna Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By Travis on 02/06/2008 12:43 AM
    Posted By annamarie421 on 02/05/2008 7:10 PM
    many of the top tanks start fads and follow fads.  need to know the whole history before matching any single part to their success as a whole.
    I agree with that Travis. 
    But, just for fun, here's another sweet Euro SPS tank lit by T5:
    http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9505

11. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So Travis, do you not think that T5's can be a integral part of a top tank? 

12. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That's the beauty of this hobby, you can have success in so many ways.  With that being said, there are also a lot of nice MH lit tanks. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif  Above all, I think good husbandry can make up for a lot of things...

RalphP's tank
    David Saxby's tank     Tank on youtube
    Steve Weast's tank

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  14. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By RobynT on 02/06/2008 8:04 AM
    So Travis, do you not think that T5's can be a integral part of a top tank? 
    I believe a great tank can be lit by anything.  I believe it is the husbandry of the tank owner or guy he pays to care for his tank that is the only real solid link to success.  If you want to see an awesome T5 tank look at Ben's (Wolfe 1).  I have also seen amazing VHO, Halide, and PC tanks.  The common link in those tanks is each individual had the foresight to research and care for what would survive in there tank and the dedication to keep up the maintainance and care their inhabitants require.  Too often we see a great tank and look to the equipment as the magic bullet to get us the same success, when all we really need to do is to look at ourselves...

15. Anna

Anna Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I really like MH, and I really like T5 (that's what I had on my old 75). They both have pros and cons. There are many amazing, hugely inspirational tanks lit with both, either separately or combined! Like Sone said - there are many paths to success in this hobby, but all are driven by good husbandry! /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

16. einsteins

einsteins Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just my 2 cents worth....

I think that T5's are maybe 5 to 10% of the reason for the success of those tanks maybe a bit less...
    What I do give a lot of credit to is the ZEO/PRODIBIO/FAUNA MARIN low nutrient/controlled nutient European type of husbandry.
    Both of the systems referenced above use that type of methodology. I use a hybrid of these methods and I am very happy with my results....
    The low nutrient methodology takes a full commitment and is a slow process when first starting out. If a person commits to it, understands it and sticks with it, the results can be fantastic!

Believe me when I tell you that T5's have very little to do with the success of these tanks. Good lighting is imperative ....but whether it comes from MH or T5 is less important.

eins

17. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I realize that it takes many individual factors to make the "whole" of an awesome system.  The average exceptional tank is lit with halides vs T5's so I am happy to see fabulous tanks that use T5's as an example that it can be achieved with that alternate type of lighting.  If cost and heat issues weren't an issue I would probably have halides too but the cost difference is pretty significant for me.  Diversity is what makes the world go round!

18. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

An interesting side note.  I have read how important that flow is to a successful reef tank and was fortunate enough to attend the mini seminar given last year at the Rockford Frag Swag regarding flow.  Since I have gotten my "new" Koralia # 4's (two of them) and also use a modded MJ 1200 in my 90 gallon, I see a noticable difference in many of the corals in my tank.  Flow is definately one of those very important elements.

It's nice when you feel like something is working.  The learning curve in this hobby can be pretty frustrating at times!