1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

SPS CORLS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CREYNOLDS, Jul 19, 2008.

1. CREYNOLDS

CREYNOLDS

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OK , So Iam thinking about making the jump to sps corals. Let me start by leting you all know my tank. It has been set up for about 3 mths now , its a 29 gallon with a 250 m/h and a 10 gallon refugium. The sump as a power compact light. I have all softies to this date. Do you guys think my tank is ready for a few sps corals? If so what can I do to prep my tank for sps corals? If I do get some sps corals what do I need to do specail for them? Right now the only additves I add is kent iodine and coral vite by kent as well. Is there any additives that I will have to add for sps corals?Thanks for you help!

2. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    I would advise making sure your water temp and quality are VERY stable, sps don't fair well if things are out of wack. Mine you this isn't a discouragement just a peice of advice, there have been alot of people make the jump without really being prepared and have lost more interest and money because of it.

3. CREYNOLDS

CREYNOLDS

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well I got the temp under control. Its holding at a 78 to 80 range. I would say my water qulity is very good I test every week. MY nitrates are always at 0, ph is about 8.0 to 8.2, calcuim is 500 plus, phos is always about .15 to .20.  kh is 10 and sg is between 1.24 and 1.26.I keep a log of my test every week. Is this the range I need to be? I do a 5 gallon weekly water change.the other qestion is what about water, I use a seachem prime for my new water, I dont have ro system. Is this ok or should i use something diffrent?

4. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like your parameters are pretty good but keep in mind if you have a big temp swing again, things could go ok. If you don't have an R/O system what are you using for water? As long as you're buying RO somewhere and not using tap water, your probably ok.

If you want to try some SPS, I can hook you up with some easy SPS frags you can try. I'll sell them to you for $5 a frag if you're a club member... Otherwise $15 each. I'm located in Marion.

5. CREYNOLDS

CREYNOLDS

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I  just use tap water with prime. Would need to add any supplements for sps? What would be some good sps to start off with? I really dont have time to run all the way across town to get ro water. Should i not be using tap water?

6. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I would not trust TAP water as it's full of Nitrates, Phosphates and who knows what else to begin with and I doubt treating with Prime really eliminates all of it. If I was you, I'd definitely be on the lookout for a RO/DI unit.

You shouldn't need to add many additives if you are doing normal water changes with a good quality salt (there is a nice thread in the forums here that goes over the different types of salt and their pros/cons). The one thing that you will have to monitor closely with SPS/LPS is your Calcium/Alkalinity/Magnesium levels as those are all critical to grow those types of coral. As your corals grow, demand will grow and you'll need to supplement with a good Two-Part additive. The most cost effective way to do this is with Randy's DIY Two part formula.

-JB

7. CREYNOLDS

CREYNOLDS

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I use instant ocean salt. Where can I get that 2 part at?

8. CREYNOLDS

CREYNOLDS

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What about current? How much should I have? Should I have one on each end?

9. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    IO isn't a bad salt, but once you have a fair amount of SPS/LPS you may want to consider moving up to Reef Crystals or something similar.
    You can't buy Randy's Two Part Solution, you have to make it...  The instructions can be found here.
    http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php#18
    Most of the ingredients can be bought locally dirt cheap.   Anything that you cant' find locally can be bought here: 
    http://www.bulkreefsupply.com
    And yes, SPS likes a lot of indirect current.
    -JB

10. CREYNOLDS

CREYNOLDS

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well you said you would sell some frags for 5 bucks each? When would you be around so I could stop by?

11. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'm around most weekends or evenings.  
    Again, the price is $5 if you are an active club member (as in dues paid). 
    You can join the club instantly here using PayPal.   Otherwise, the mail-in version is [url="http://www.greateriowareefsociety.org/site#]here[/url].
    If you're already a club member, you need to talk to Waverz and have him upgrade your account on the website because it's not showing you as a club member.
    Sorry for being a stickler on this, but I'm big on helping out people that support the club, so if you're not a club member the price is going to be higher...
    -JB

12. CREYNOLDS

CREYNOLDS

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OK does it show me as a member now?

13. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    It does indeed. Welcome to the club!

I've got some stuff going on tonight, but I should be around tomorrow if you want to pick up some frags.

I'll PM you my contact info.

-JB

14. calebjk Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids IA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the club Chad.
    and btw, the sps i got from you JB are doing good, thank you.

15. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Please be aware that Prime can mask many test result reading.

16. CREYNOLDS

CREYNOLDS

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So what can I use besides prime? What about current? How many gph should I run for sps? Should one powerhead be enough or should I put one on each end?

17. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    I would really suggest reading up on this before you get in a big hurry, sps can be very hard to keep if your not prepared. I have a whole collection of books if you'd like to take a look at them I can bring them down to the get together next weekend.

18. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    PRIME is not necissary if you use a proper RO/DI system.  Salt Mixes are designed for use with water that has been run through an RO system.  Tap water carries many impurities that are going to cause you many headaches and cost you a lot more than an RO system would in the long run. 

19. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Here's a good deal on a used RO/DI unit...

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1435600

-JB

20. billbigsbe Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hey, when you are ready ive got some easy sps for free. Also w/sps ive had great luck w/no sand in the tank and lots of flow and light. Be careful of using tap h2o, copper from the plumbing and coral dont mix! A ro/di unit will remove all/99.999 of all the crap in tap h20. Test your tap h20 you will puke[​IMG]. www.purewaterclub.com  also get a before and after tds meter for the ro/di. The key w/sps is consistancy! and light!!! Good luck  p.s. hope that you didnt already put the crappy h20 in your tank? Dave[​IMG]