1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Spring Frag Swap, Blank Park Zoo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guest, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The 2008 GIRS Coral Frag Swap is being held April 5th, from 11-3 at the Blank Park Zoo's Discovery Center, overlooking their indoor rainforest.  For directions to the zoo, see this link.
    Admission to the frag swap is free and completely open to the public.  Those wishing to visit the zoo can do so for the normal admission price. 
    The zoo has an onsite cafe, and our own Mr. West will be providing... cake.
    There will be a raffle, for which we are still amassing prizes.  Everyone attending, member or non-member, will receive a complementary raffle ticket.  Additional tickets will be available and open for purchase by anyone in attendance. 
    Sellers will be charged a flat fee of $20, with which they will receive 5 free raffle tickets.  Power is available for display tanks.  Setup begins at 10 a.m.
    Vendors:  for information on participating please contact the GIRS Board of Directors at board@greateriowareefsociety.org
    A special thanks to the zoo for accommodating and sponsoring our group.
    Let's keep this thread devoted to questions about the swap.  I will do my best to answer them quickly.  Hope to see everyone there. 

2. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Can we have snacks/food in the swap area?

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I assume so, since they do hold catered events there. The zoo, as I said, also has a cafe in the same building.

4. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    I know I've asked this before. If non-members have the option to win raffle tickets doesn't that take away from the current members? I don't want to sound greedy or non appreciative but it just seems odd to reward people for attending yet not joining. If needed feel free to slap me and tell me to shut up.

5. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By glaspie69 on 03/10/2008 12:15 PM
    I know I've asked this before. If non-members have the option to win raffle tickets doesn't that take away from the current members? I don't want to sound greedy or non appreciative but it just seems odd to reward people for attending yet not joining. If needed feel free to slap me and tell me to shut up. Jason
    I understand your concern. But I think the intent of the raffle is to make funds for future events and club activities. I think to maximize that we need to keep it open to all people that attend the event and support the club, members or not. As much as I would like to contain this to club members only, I really think it will be in the best interest of the club to open it up to all.
    Thanks.
    Billy

6. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Just make tickets a bit more expensive for non-members. Problem solved.

-JB

7. seanndenise1

seanndenise1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

8. glaspie69

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    ok

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If someone wants to discuss the philosophy of the next event's raffle, let's start a thread in the members forum. Trying to keep this thread on questions about the swap, as everyone who sees the flyer anywhere else is directed here.

10. glaspie69

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    I didn't know questions weren't allowed, guess I'll go back in my corner and eat my cake.

11. Nykademus

Nykademus Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sellers are charged a twenty dollar fee. Does anyone need to be notified before hand? Or will there be enough room and people can just bring their things.. pay the fee.. and find a table?

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think there will be plenty of room, but we will be having a meeting soon to iron out the last remaining details and will get an answer to you, for sure, by this weekend. Possibly tonight.

13. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Any updates?  How many sellers will there be?  What corals will be there?  Can we rent half a table? 

14. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    are u going to be able to take a behind-the-tank tour of the Zoo's tanks?

15. candlesbytammy1

candlesbytammy1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was just on here looking for any updates. I am assuming they will be on here soon. Is the zoo going to give us any discount admission? I thought on their website there are discounts for groups of 20 or more. Just wondering if that is a possiblity? I hope we have a good turn out. I am getting excited.