1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Spring-fest

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Netfish and Chill, Jan 16, 2024.

1. Do we have a space and date locked in? I know the Reefing USA has a date of April 7th for des moines, but there has been 0 chat about where or any other info. I know that Fox Brewing closed last year, preventing the fall swap. I also know that it's poised to reopen. Maybe still have this space locked in? Just trying to lock in the date so I don't have other things going on.

Trying not.to know at the last moment

Last edited: Jan 16, 2024
  2. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I'll be chatting with Bill Davis soon, I owe him a call anyway. We'll likely go with that again this spring.

I know that in-person activity and events have really dropped off over the past few years. This is a combination of things and it is systematic. Clubs everywhere are dropping off the map or struggling to survive, several large events are pretty much worthless/failures, etc

I've been rolling around my plan to restructure things from the ground up but for me personally, it's been a bad couple of years between economy and cancer. But I'm still here and so are several people who are dedicated to continuing to move things forward with whatever effort and contributions they can provide.

We'll post something when we have it figured out!

3. Thank you for your reply! Just trying to see if this was still going to be a thing. I enjoyed the last one, and would love another.

4. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Alright so it took a while longer to zero in on this one but it’s finally official - Reefing USA will be at the Food Depot in Grimes on Sunday 4/7 from Noon-3

Food Depot has great food (esp pizza) and a full bar, which will be open at 9am.

More details this coming week. Reefing USA will be publishing the official flyer tomorrow & then we will post the event thread

5. Thank you for the update Bud!

6. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
  7. pwfish

pwfish Well-Known ReefKeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Do they need any assistance from the GIRS members or do they handle everything.

8. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    They generally handle everything, but any help is more than welcome! It always helps to have a few extra hands setting things up, and this year it's a bit tight because they can't get into the venue until 9am (which is why the show opens at Noon). So I'd say if we had 2-3 hands helping from 9-10am they would appreciate that for sure.

Then, I found it helps to have at least one person at the door for the first hour handing out the goodie bags and making sure everyone gets a giveaway ticket. I was planning on doing that.

9. pwfish

pwfish Well-Known ReefKeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    ok Thanks for information.