1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Sponge's Brain Surgery Recovery

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Sponge, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Happy New Year everyone! I hope your Christmas was a good one and that 2017 is treating you very well! I can honestly say that I am SO HAPPY 2017 is here!! I lost 4 immediate family members in 2016 as well as other 'trying' events.:(

Some of you may be wondering how the surgery went and how the recovery is going so I thought I'd let you know. Everything happened so quickly, especially considering we were not expecting surgery! During the course of getting surgery clearance, they found an irregular heart beat which I have never had. So 2 days before the surgery, they did an angiogram. They found a heart blockage but it was decided I could safely undergo the surgery...yay! (I am being followed by a cardiologist now but things are on hold until the recovery progresses.)

December 7th was the brain surgery. It was a 3 1/2 hour procedure. My doctor had to do everything by guided imagery, using the Stealth MRI I had done a few days before the surgery. That means (without getting technical) he used a camera and fished it and his tools to get to the tumor in the cerebellum. Of course if that wasn't nerve racking enough, the tumor was on a major vein and located in a bad area! We knew he couldn't remove all the tumor because if the vein was cut/punctured, there would be nothing they could do to save me as I would bleed out in seconds. The incision runs from above my right ear down to the base of my neck...longer than I had thought/imagined. But, since he had to cut a section of the skull out and peel the scalp away, I was happy to hear that he did replace the skull!! I'm Here and the surgery was successful! 95-97% of the tumor was removed!!! I was in ICU for a day and then transferred to my room. I stayed for 3 days and went home on my birthday! A great present!:D

I am doing pretty darn good! The stitches are out, the scar is healing well and my hair is slowly starting to grow. My days are mixed up, sometimes I don't "process" just right and, I do get tired very, very easily. I have driven to town 3 times and it has gone well.:) The recovery is to take 6 months but I'm trying to shorten that by months! I hate being in recovery mode as it sucks! I want to work and especially to get my frag tank going again! I miss my babies and working at the business! I am hopeful that I will continue with TNT Corals... I return for an MRI and follow-up visit with the doctor on the 12th. I'm anxious to see the MRI and hear what the doctor says about how I am recovering. I will be asking a lot of questions!

Family, friends and others have been very supportive! Our daughter, Elizabeth, and a reefkeeping friend, Joey, have started Go Fund Me campaigns. As one can imagine, the medical expenses are outrageous and will continue for some time. My care required Rod to take family medical leave and Elizabeth. They both have returned to work!:cool: I have been able to do water changes on the 180g and some other minor things(cleaning the panes, skimmer cleanings, testing, etc). Lite housework, laundry and, a couple trips to WalMart mainly for the exerciseo_O I'd say that I'm getting better...Woot!

I'd like to thank Jeanette and Dave for their support and assistance; Thank You!!!

Click here to support Terri's Brain Surgery Recovery Fund by Joseph Daleo
    Click here to support Terri Landt's Recovery by Elizabeth Thornton

2. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0

20161214_172006.jpg
    Shortly after I got home.

20170102_200019.jpg
    2 days ago

3. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0
    You are a strong and determine person @Sponge@Sponge. Sounds like you are on the road to a quick recovery! If we were closers we would jump right in to help ya.

4. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Glad to hear you are doing well. Hope your recovery process is quick. Keep up the hard work.

5. Borky00 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Lisbon
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    Wow what an adventure. Glad you are doing better, hope all continues to go well!.

6. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Sounds like you're well on the road to recovery. That's great to hear. Hopefully you can get back full steam into the hobby that you love.

7. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Thank you everyone!!:D I'm definitely positive and working hard on the recovery, and I hope to be better than ever real soon! Dy-no-mite comes in small packages! Me, and TNT Corals, of course!:lol:

8. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Here's the update I post recently on Facebook:

Late last week I had my first follow-up with the neurosurgeon. I had a CT scan before seeing him. I have been asked to update so I will as follows. :9)

I am attaching a couple pictures that the Dr let me take of his computer screen with my cellphone. The first picture is from an MRI right before the surgery. He is pointing with his pen at the tumor...it's the round circle where you can see the tumor pushing in on the cerebellum. The second picture is from the CT scan; the after surgery picture. The area where the tumor was is now filled with spinal fluid. Looking at the skull part below the darker circle in the second picture, you can see the where he cut the skull, removed the bone and then replaced it. The bone has stainless steel plates on each end. The Dr.said it will take about a year before the bone begins to calcify. It will eventually fuse together with the adjoining bone. :9)

I have driven the car a few times, just short trips for quick errands. That's about all I want to tackle right now with driving. I am doing a little light housework, making the bed, washing clothes...little things like that. I get tired and weak very easy. :9( I have headaches daily but they are not bad, thank God! I also have nausea when I wake up for a few hours. My neck has some pain so I will start physical therapy soon to strengthen the muscles. The side effects from the surgery that I'm having are all normal according to the Dr. The incision is healing nicely and my hair is growing way too slowly! lol My head still doesn't have the normal sensation to the touch...it's really "weird" feeling and some areas are numb.

In April I will have an MRI and see the Dr. again. The MRI will be the "baseline MRI" since the tumor will begin growing again because of it not being totally removed. I will continue to have MRI's and follow-up visits often. The Dr.visits and MRI's will slowly increase in the time...it will all depend upon how fast the tumor grows. Rod, the kids and I are so thankful that the tumor was benign!

The Go Fund Me campaign that Joey started has received a donation! Thank you Dave and Deanna Roth!!! If you donate, please share your name so I can personally thank you! All donations are and will be going to medical bills as they are big and will be ongoing. When you share the campaign on your Facebook page and wherever and whenever you can, it shows your support and helps others feel it is a worthwhile cause. Your friends and others will often donate so I hope you keep this in mind. Thank you in advance.

Although our TNT Corals business will not receive any money from the campaign, it will help the business in the long run. (We have used our personal money to fund TNT to date but will no longer be able to due to the medical expenses.) In talking with Jake, Chris and Tyler last night, pictures of TNT Corals For Sale will begin to be uploaded to the website! YAY!! It has been very difficult for Jake and Chris to do everything that's been needed for TNT(they have their businesses, work and families) but now having the holidays over and Tyler also now helping, things should move along much faster! We hope you will support TNT as well!

Before showing brain tumor.jpg

Spinal Fluid in the After Pic.jpg

Attached Files:

9. alardi New User

ankeny
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    prayers for your recovery sir

10. Barrett

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Prayers for a speedy recovery

11. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    It has been a year since my surgery and this year has been a challenge to say the least wit the recovery process, Rod's major surgery and all the other life events that have occurred. "Thank you everyone for your prayers and support, especially to Jeanette, Maureen, David and Deanna, and Bud!"

I had a follow-up MRI this Spring to "baseline" the size of the tumor which will help in showing how fast the tumor grows. I will be having another in the upcoming months to have a first look at the growth. Rod and I are wishing the growth happens very, very slowly as I do not look forward to another surgery in the near future. As a sidenote, looking at the picture of the incision, I can't help but snicker about how it reminds me of a Bobbit Worm! lol Always a reefer! :roflmao:

I am doing well and have just a few after-effects from the surgery. The easiest way for me to explain is I have my good days and bad days but most are good!:D Most problems are with concentration and comprehension on the bad days. Although I still drive, it is very limited and rarely do I drive anywhere except in to Marshalltown.

TNT Corals is still in operation and actually is very helpful to my recovery:) Those of you that have ordered products and purchased corals this year, thank you! Those who attended FallFest 2017 saw Maureen againing manning the Show tank to help with selling the corals. Without all of Maureen's help, I would not be able to manage all of it during the Fests! Thank you, MAUREEN! Although the new website still has not been completed, I continue to work on it adding products and soon, adding corals. I hope to have the website published shortly after the beginning of 2018;)

Again, thank you all and let's all have a Happy New Year! Keep on Reefing with Wonderful success!

12. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Thanks for the update Terri, I saw this thread getting bumped and thought there was bad news, I'm glad it wasn't that!

13. stew Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    Glad to hear the recovery continues on course. Look forward to seeing you at Spring Frag Fest.

14. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Thanks Bud and Stew!

15. Hope things improve.

16. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    I am doing well jeffmr4, thank you!