1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Sound dampening for submerged pumps

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gb387, Jun 12, 2009.

1. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Any suggestions for dampening the sound of my mag-drives vibration from resting on the bottom of my sump?

2. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    this isn't the correct way but i rubberbanded a few fragbags around mine haha could get some polyfiber stuff you use for filters and wrap around it... or i think they do make matts to set them on too

3. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I did a little reading and some have used polyfiber stuff. I was thinking of getting some larger rubber grommets and giving them a try, just don't want 'gunk' collecting in the polyfiber.

4. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeah unless you clean it and stuff could create a nitrate problem. rubber grommets would be good if you could secure them.

5. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you own Maxi jets or any kind of small powerhead, you will have left over suction cups. Just set your pump on top of them. If all else fails, buy an Eheim. [​IMG]

6. Eric Experienced Reefkeeper

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    I run an Eheim - they make noise as well without any type of mounting/vibration dampening...usually from sand between the base and the glass of the sump.
    Little rubberized feet w/adhesive on them does the trick.
    [​IMG]
    Wal-Mart, Lowes, Menards, etc...in black, clear, whatever you'd like.
    -Eric

7. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    when I had mine setup I put my magdrive on top of a neoprene mouse pad from everything I read they were safe to use

8. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I actually use a maxijet as a return for my 10g and it is much quieter with those suction cups attached /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif