1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Some tank planning

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by got2lb, Dec 28, 2007.

1. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I've just been messing around with Sketchup to see what size tank would go best where I want to put it.  I love the fact that you can draw everything to scale and see what it all looks like from every angle.
    Anyway this is what I came up with as of right now.  Not sure if will stay that way or not (may be bigger /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif ) 
    Right now I'm looking at 36" long x 24" wide x 20" tall (75 gal) and it will be made from starphire glass and viewable from 3 sides.  I will also have this plumbed into my basement so the sump and all the other goodies will be down there so it will be much easier to do water changes and hide the equipment.
    Here's a pic of what it would look like in my living room.  It's kind of hard to get the full effect because I don't have everything drawn into the picture yet.  Those of you that have been to my house it will basically be almost in the same place just facing the other direction.  The wood colored door is the front door to the house, the other door way goes to my galley style kitchen.
    Here we go:
    [​IMG]

2. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sketchup is a fun tool used for designing. As far as your tank goes, I would go for more depth. Your aquascaping possibilities open up so much more. Either 30" or 36" would be awesome. But if you're set on your current dimensions, it's still better than not having a tank. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif BTW, who's going to be building your tank?

3. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I thought about going with a 36" x 36" x 30" cube but then you're also talking 160 gallons vs. 75. I have to have at least 1 dimension 30" or under otherwise I can't get it in the house. This tank I wanted to make it affordable but really nice! I figured if I have it be 75 gallons by the time I get the sump/fuge/frag tank etc.. all setup I'll probably have 150 gallons or so, if I make the tank 160 gallons then you're going over the 200-250 mark.

Not really sure on who's going to build it yet. Been looking at glasscages but not really sure. Any other suggestions?

4. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Here's what a 36x36x24" tall tank would look like in the same spot:

[​IMG]

5. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I'm also wanting to light this with a single 400 watt light ( with probably some T5's for asthetics) so not sure if I could get enough spread on a 36x36" tank

6. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've heard those LumenBright reflectors are supposed to be really good. I'm guessing 1 of those supplemented by T5's would make your tank look really nice and bright without any dark spots. A 36x30x20 is 93.5 gallons and a 36x36x20 is 112.2 gallons. As far as glass tank builders, I think GC is supposed to be the cheapest. If you can swing it, it might be worth looking into other manufacturers like AGE, Miracles, AO or LeeMar.

7. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure if I want it much wider than 24" though.  Like I said not everything in the room is on that picture.  My computer desk sits right beside that as well and would end up being pushed up against the far wall.  I may end up mocking one up out of plywood and seeing how it actually fits in the room.
    As far as who I'm going to have build it I really don't know yet.  I haven't even really looked into it too much.  Just glanced at Glasscages website a little bit.  Do you have the websites for the ones you listed?
    Maybe I'll end up with an Elos 120 XL!   You never know!!!  /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

8. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    you could save some money and just buy a rr 120, be about the same size with alot less cost

9. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I'm sure I won't end up with a tank that big. It will either be something like originally stated or a large cube tank. I want it to be viewable from 3 sides and kind of a partial room divider. It may end up being rimless though with a fixture instead of a canopy on it. I like the looks of that. Time will tell.

10. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  11. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    rimless with your kids??? Hmmmmm....

"look daddy we fed the fish cookies"

12. slovan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif I never thought about that. Well Matt...I think you better forget about a rimless for the next 10-15 years!

13. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    You know I never really thought about that either! Very good point!

14. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    The Elos 70 isn't too far off from the dimensions I was looking at. They need to make a tank that's in between the 70 and the 120!

15. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Looks like aquarium obsessed has one that's pretty close. 36x24x24 90 gal. They're about twice the price of glasscages though. /site/DesktopModules/NTForums/themes/_default/emoticons/sad.gif The other ones don't have actual tank prices listed on their site so i'll have to shoot them an email and see I guess.

I clicked on the miracle aquarium link, are they still in business? Looks like someone else has they're website now.