1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Some tank pics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RobynT, Aug 30, 2008.

1. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've been working on my rockwork and placing corals for days and although I'm not done, I thought I'd share a few pictures. This build (major, monster project) has been a long time coming, from the planning to finishing all the little details. I've taken my time with placing all the rocks and corals and I'm pretty pleased with it albeit not finished. It will take some time for some of these corals to grow out but I have a few that are nice little colonies now too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The doors aren't made for the canopy yet, but you can see my incredible Lumen Bright reflectors!! They really are pretty amazing.
    [​IMG]

2. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Almost forgot my new pride and joy!
    [​IMG]

3. REEFer Madness

REEFer Madness Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    AB FAB!  I think you've just raised the bar for aquascaping.
    Make sure you announce a tank tour if you're in it.

4. JByrd

JByrd

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Very nice looking Robin. Can't wait to see what a years progression will look like in the new tank. I really like the looks of the arches. Curious on how you accomplished that task. Please tell.

5. JByrd

JByrd

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Buy the way love the Powder Brown. One of my favorite!!!

6. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My tank has a long way to go but thanks!   I plan on having a club meeting one of these days when it is finished and  more mature.  Of course I'm 50 miles from the QC and some might consider that too far but I drive all the time so it doesn't bother me. 
    The best part of this build is this.....
    [​IMG]
    These and the ballasts are the only equipment under the tank.  All the rest of it is down in the dungeon (umm basement in my 100+ year old house.)

7. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By JByrd on 08/30/2008 7:05 PM
    Very nice looking Robin. Can't wait to see what a years progression will look like in the new tank. I really like the looks of the arches. Curious on how you accomplished that task. Please tell.
    Most of the bottom rock is connected by drilling first (with a masonary drill bit ) and pounding acrylic rods into it and cutting off the ends with a bolt cutter. ( I actually did that part all by myself. ) I thought I would have to glue the rods but they are pretty tight.  I then balanced the rest of the rock, adding about 6 rocks from my other tank.  The bulk reef supply rock is so "rocky" that it works well for fitting together.  I've really taken my time since I about have to have my whole body in the tank to work anywhere near the bottom (no joke)
    You are mostly looking at 90 lbs of rock from BRS.  It is so lightweight, you really get a lot for your money.

8. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Wow, It's looking GREAT Robyn! Your right that rock does look really good!!

Great Job! Now lets see ya fill it up.

9. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Kinda handy that we have a frag fest coming up isn't it??

10. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Very Nice Robyn!!

I'm Getting ready to set my rock work up in a few weeks, ( You've inspired me). Cant Wait to see yours all filled out.

Again nice job!!

11. FishNewb1

FishNewb1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow! very nice finished product robyn! I need to post some new pics of your clown in its new anemone! It loves it!

12. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Wow that is incredible!

50 miles is not too far, heck i may drive the 150 to check it out if you have an event there.

What size acrylic rod did you use, and how far in did you go with it?

You have indeed set the bar on rockwork!

13. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By FishNewb1 on 08/30/2008 10:22 PM
    Wow! very nice finished product robyn! I need to post some new pics of your clown in its new anemone! It loves it!
    Awww Adam, I knew that clown would be much happier in your tank than in mine.  Thanks for giving him a great home!  I would love to see pics when you have a chance.  Please post!

14. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By xroads on 08/31/2008 8:30 AM
    Wow that is incredible!
    50 miles is not too far, heck i may drive the 150 to check it out if you have an event there.
    What size acrylic rod did you use, and how far in did you go with it?
    You have indeed set the bar on rockwork!
    Drilling the rocks was easy and I personally love the results.  I bought the longest 3/8" masonry bit that I could find and drilled through two rocks together(how I wanted them attached) as far as I could go without going all the way through.  I then screwed and twisted the rod as far as it would go.  Then I cut it off as close as I could with bolt cutters and banged on the end a few times to finished "setting" the rod.  I pretty much attached the rocks in pairs and then finished stacking using putty and good fits as it was impossible to lift more than two together and not risk dropping them in my deep tank.
    Here's a link where I found out where to buy the rods.  http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1429064

15. Benji

Benji Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I really like the stand and canopy. Looks like it fits the space well!.

Did you DIY?

16. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Benji!  The tank came with the base cabinet but my husband had to modify it and build a new canopy.  He added a door on the left end of the base and redid it somewhat.  The canopy that came with this had a raising piano hinge door and would not work with my Lumenbright reflectors so he started from scratch.  He still has to make doors but they are needed so I can wait.
    If anyone can use the old canopy top, they are welcome to it.  It is made to hold three MH smaller reflectors in the middle section.  It could be painted another color but it is also black.

17. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looking really good Robyn! I love how well the equipment is organized. How about a picture of the dungeon?

18. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I love the powder brown, where did u get him, at I am thinking of get one too

19. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well Lee, we should be able to finish with the "dungeon" build this weekend and I'll post pictures after it is done.  Mike has planned a system for water changes that utilizes a 40 gallon stock tank feeding off of my RO/DI barrel where it will automatically fill and then only require adding salt, turning on the power head for a day and then turning a few valves (it will flow to the main sump via gravity.)   He also connected my old sump on top of my rubbermaid stock tank as a refugium and it is gravity fed by one line of the main tank return and then overflows back into the sump (all gravity fed and returned  and a perfect moderate flow).  I have yet to fill the refugium but I have a temporary one that will be transferred over into the next couple of days.  I liked the basement before all of the equipment got hooked up, it's become a bit crowded already!
    The propagation area in the sump is working out really well!!!  I've got a nice flow in there so I don't need an additional powerheads.  Things are happy and growing well under my old T5's but I'm looking for a MH pendant light as I don't need 4' of lighting (the rack is about 2'x 2').
    David, I love my new powder too.  He's a wonderfully healthy fish with a nice personality.  I had once wanted a powder blue but decided later on the brown as they are "supposedly" a little healthier and milder in temperment.  I got lucky in that a reefer I know was selling everything and I bought my PBT and 5 Lyretail anthias that were very acclimated to tank life and eating and perfectly fat and happy.  I did still quarantee them for a couple of weeks just to make sure.  I am not taking any chances with this tank if I can help it.  He is fairly small at about 3 1/2".  I was worried that my hippo tang might have a problem with a new tang in her new home but they were "buds" within two minutes and swimming together.  I'm very fortunate that all of my fish are docile and get along well.

20. RobynT

RobynT Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's been awhile so I'm finally updating the growth in my tank a bit.  Too bad I can't say my photo taking skills have improved any but I am still learning and striving for better.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]