1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Some Significant Site Changes.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JB, Jun 6, 2009.

1. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I want to give everyone a heads up regarding some changes that I've made to the site this weekend.
    1) You might notice that some of the names in the forum are different now.   This is because I've switched the forums from using "user names" which can not be changed, to "display names" which can be changed/tweaked by users.   To avoid confusion with this, I've set it up so that no two users can use the same display name.   We had a few cases where multiple people were already using the same display names.   In those few cases, I changed their display names to their user names to resolve the conflict.
    The nice thing about using display names is that it's a little more flexible for site users and it it keeps things consistent between the forums and the private message system (which has lead to some confusion).  You can change your display name by clicking on "My Account/Profile" under "My GIRS" and then clicking on "Edit Profile".   This leads me to the next item...
    2) The profile system has been significantly enhanced.   You may now see that you have access to some cool new features (like individual photo galleries).   So check out the profile system and take a few minutes to get your profile page all tricked out.   One thing you might notice on the profile page is the mention of "Groups".  This leads me to the next item...
    3) Each "Region" has been setup as a group that users can "join".   The groups give a little more flexible way to configure, display and share information specific to a group or region.   The other thing it does is give regional trustees a much better way to communicate with people regarding events and other things happening in the region.  So please take a few minutes to join the group for your region (or multiple groups if you want).
    Thanks and Enjoy!
    -JB

2. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your continued hard work and dedication toward making the site all that it can be. The site really is one of the main things that holds the group together.

--AJ