1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

some fich

Discussion in 'Cedar Rapids & Iowa City Region' started by mralanjones, Feb 15, 2009.

1. mralanjones

mralanjones Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i am new to this sire as well as salt water. i bought a gold stripped grouper and I want to get some more fish. i have a 55 gallon. so i know i can only get about 3 to 4 more. i want a trigger, another grouper, and a dwarf lion fish. do you think it would work. since i can't get any cleaner ish is there any ideas how to clean my tank.

2. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    turbo snails, margarita snails, narcisarus(sp) snail, about any hermit crab. if your just doing a fish only tank you could put a star fish or 2 in there. thats the best way that i know of to clean a tank besides scrubbing it yourself. what kind of filtration your running and what color is your algae? i dont know about the trigger in a 55 it could get to big and agressive but i'm not to knowlegable on them.

3. mralanjones

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i bought so dry fiji rock off line and the went to pet's playhouse and bought a nice piece of fiji. i has purple algae? My plans were to conquer the just is before i went into sponges. i have a red sea prizem pro and a fluval 404 canister filter. please tell me if i need something else or this will work. how many snails should i get. I also have to korila 2 powerheads. looking into so lighting about 260 wtts. any ideas on another fish since a trigger wouldn't be a good idea

4. mralanjones

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    prizem pro skimmer.

5. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    in my old 55 i had a mixture of the margarita and turbo's and i had maybe a total of 12 and they did fine in there keeping it clean along with about 6 hermit crabs, but i had a hermit crab that was about 4-5inches around so he ate quite a bit. the filtrations should be ok i ran a canister filter for a while.

With the dry fiji rock how long did you let it cure before you put the fish in?

6. mralanjones

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    about 2 weeks. is that a bad thing, my fish wont eat the snails or crab

7. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    nah they shouldn't bother them at all. 2 weeks might be a little soon for dry rock. have you tested your water? if your paremeters are ok you might be fine but i wouldn't be suprised if you get a spike here before to long.

8. mralanjones

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ok. as for a testing kit do you recommend any. I need to get one so i am not going to the pet store every week. i buy something everytime I go in there

9. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I would suggest starting out with the API test kits that are regularly available from any pet store. They are good enough for general use, cheap and easy to come by. I still use the API test kits for most stuff.

BTW, welcome to GIRS!

-JB

10. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    I'm thinking if you put that many large fish in a tank your going to need a big well made skimmer.

11. mralanjones

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i got a red sea prisem pro. it is made for 220 gallons. i have a 55. will it work or should i get something else

12. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    Well, the more time you spend in this hobby the more you'll come to realize numbers the factory quotes aren't always accurate. The grade of product you have will also make a big difference in the amount of gallons a skimmer can handle. The larger the fish you have the more waste they will produce, proper flow inside the tank to keep the waste in the water column will help the skimmer pull it out but unless you have a good skimmer (which i'm not sure the prizm is) it will be alot harder on you in the long run. If the waste builds up for to long hair algea blooms could start up, leading to a long, frustrating and very long battle. I would consider checking out a local meeting and talking to some of the more advanced reefkeepers, they should be able to get an idea of what your doing or what to do and be able to give you some good advice. hth j