1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

so what do you like/dont like about your canopy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by snowman82, Jun 27, 2009.

1. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i'm going to start building/modifying the canopy to my 120 and was just wanting to hear how other had theirs and what they like or would do different with it.  i am thinking of having it hinge halfway open.  as it is 24" deep and sits about 32" off the ground it will be a little difficult to get into so the more i can reach in the better.

2. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Im taking my canopy off and going open top with my new fixture which will cover all but 1" on each side. Canopy was good for hiding my ugly DIY lighting rig but also traps alot of heat and doesnt help with evaporation. I guess it has pros and cons as does everything but I like being able to look down at my coral and stuff from the top. Its a whole different look and actually corals look way cooler that way than through glass. imo Im ditching the hood for now but will see in how it goes. Maybe will switch back later but trying something new.

3. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am very happy with the 'canopy' I build for mine... I have a Current fixture and it fits in the canopy still giving me the open top.

4. Jtown

Jtown Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah Brandon the way yours is set up is perfect and I might have to copy it. It gives the nice canopy look but still open top and can have a fixture. I think I might build something very similar.

5. gb387

gb387 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Its an easy build and and very in-expensive.

6. Shaun

Shaun Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The only thing I would change would be to add doors on the front on the one I Built

7. adampottebaum

adampottebaum Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I really really like the one Jason built(or had built?). It's in the members photo gallery. I like how it has doors and the whole thing also opens up, that way if you're just feeding you don't need to open the whole thing...
    http://greateriowareefsociety.org/Community/PhotoGalleries/tabid/57/AlbumID/461-19/Default.aspx

8. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't like the way that the lights are attached to the lid on mine. Part of the front and the top are connected, so when you open it up more than just a little, you're greeted with 1000 watts of light...   I wish I had doors on the front so that I could just open a door without having to worry about the lights.

--AJ

9. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeah i like the two doors option and i think i'm going to go with T5's this time (still undecided) but with doing that and having half the canopy open up half my lights are going to be on the part that hinges so will get blinded if i dont shut them off haha. but yah Jasons does look nice i'm not going that expensive on mine his looks like its all solid wood, i'm using 3/4 inch plywood skinned with 1/4" (stand already has 3/4" on it painted which is why i'm skinning with the 1/4 inch.

10. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    Looks like solid wood....reality is it's 3/4 A grade maple ply with several coats of appliance epoxy on the inside (for easy cleaning). I don't remember what it cost as it's been a few years but it wasn't extremely expensive. I wouldn't use anything less than an A grade though (much easier to waterproof), you'll probably regret it down the road.

11. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I got some white marine grade paint that I'm going to use on the inside of my hood. Looks like the last guy just used regular paint last time and it's all flaking off now after 3 years.

--AJ

12. snowman82

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeah thats what i'm going to use too on the inside. outside is going to be a full can of poly :) maybe get the spray gun out and try it with some auto clear coat haha.....but doubt it..