1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

So my Dad wants to build a greenhouse....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Waverz, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Last year my father got suckered into a scam where he would buy young pigeons, raise them up and sell them back to the person he bought them from for a profit.  All he would need to do is build the pigeon coop and the food, from there it would be easy money.  Well after spending about 5 grand for the foundation of his pigeon coop to be poured apparently the guy skipped town taking thousands of other peoples money with him.  Luckily my dad never gave the guy a dime but now has a foundation for a building he doesn't need.  A couple months ago i was telling him about aquaculturing coral and how it would be cool to have a greenhouse.  My dad has been gardening for almost his entire life and grew up on a dairy farm so to him it seemed like a great idea, he could grow plants and vegetables and i could have a section to use for growing coral.  Needless to say I'm pretty excited about this project.  I will be doing a lot of research over the winter and we will begin to assemble the green house next spring.  More than liketly i will start pretty small and build up as i can afford it it still gonna be pretty cool growing coral under the sun.

2. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Jeremy that would be sweet. What city does your dad live in?

3. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    Greenhouses are hot, dig a hole and bury some pipe in the ground to use as a chiller. Before the floor is pored.

4. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    He lives in Clarksville, which is about 30 miles north of cedar falls. The floor is going to be gravel so digging wouldn't be a problem, i was reading Steven Pro's thread he is building a GH in pittsburg, he's lucky though, het gets free natural gas to use to heat it during the winter months. I'll be tagging along his thread on marine depot for sure, so far it has been very useful.

5. glaspie69

glaspie69 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +41 / 2 / -0
    this sounds like a fun venture....where do i sign up to buy stock?

6. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Heh, you can just paypal me.  /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif
    I'm sure it will be quite some time before we make any money for now it will be more like an experiment, with a little luck we might be able to grow out some serious sized colonies.

7. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like a cool idea, can't wait to see it in action.......

8. nick

nick Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    sounds awesome, hope it all works out for you

9. kgehrke

kgehrke Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    There are a few cool threads on RC. Two from the same guy, Reef Farm Planning and Reef farm operations. There is also a site called MAQo_Org that is still in its infancy but may be a good resource. Pro's thread is pretty cool, it takes some serious time and commitment to get through it though, lol. Good luck!

10. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like a good idea to me! Get to it! I know someone who lives REAL close to your dad that could def. help get it off the ground and keep an eye on it for you! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif

11. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Greenhouse Glass
    1200-1800 14 inch X 18 inch sheets of greenhouse glass, located in Waterloo near the courthouse, 277-4006

this was in the swap sheet,jeremy

12. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Did you get a copy of Anthony Calfos book on coral prop, its got some good info on green houses?