1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

So, before anyone else texts me

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guest, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200880407004
    I didn't know it was in the paper until Philby texted me.
    Glaring omissions and errors:
    I bank in my hometown.  I was going home for the day and taking pennies, nickels, and dimes back to have my parents deposit for me. 
    I shoved him out of the car and slammed the door on his leg.  As he laid there he cut my tire.
    I followed him for 5 minutes or so with my car.  He was unable to run.  I couldn't keep following him because I was in a camry with a flat trying to drive through a muddy construction area and had nothing to protect myself with if i got stuck.
    It took me almost a minute to get 911 to ring.  It took 10 more for any police to arrive.  In a crime-ridden area near downtown Des Moines. 
    "Followed footprints" is bs.  I told them the ******* slipped and dropped the change bucket.  They went where I told them to go and *found* footprints.
    So anyway, he got away with about $80 and a bum leg.  I got away humiliated, not stabbed and keeping the $800 I had on me and not in my wallet.
    This is on a sunny sunday afternoon right in front of my apartment.  Second crime against me in 8 months.  I'm moving back to the country.

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Im sorry to hear about that!

I am just glad you are ok as some dirt bags will kill someone over $10.

3. slovan

slovan Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Holy crap Ryan, sorry for what happened. I didn't realized it was that bad where you live. I hope nothing else bad happens to you regardless of where you're at.

4. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good news Ryan that you are OK. I still think we need to track the guy down and give him a GIRS style beat down.

5. BGreenlee

BGreenlee Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry to hear about this Ryan. This is the exact reason I moved to a town of 1100 people instead of staying in the quad cities. Its also the reason there is a loaded gun in my car most of the time.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Posted By BGreenlee on 04/07/2008 11:29 AM
    Sorry to hear about this Ryan. This is the exact reason I moved to a town of 1100 people instead of staying in the quad cities. Its also the reason there is a loaded gun in my car most of the time.Note to self.....Don't piss off Billy.

7. Philby

Philby Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ryan - hopefully your luck will change until you can find a place in the country! And yes the article did leave a lot out...

It's so crazy that I live 1 block away, and I've never felt in danger or had anything like this happen to me. And I live next door and across the alley from 2 apartment complexes where the tenants do(sell?) a variety of drugs...

I know Sherman Hill is a lot better than it was a few years ago, and for the sake of the revival its having (as well as downtown) I hope this type of crime can be completely eradicated.

8. Nykademus

Nykademus Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Glad you are alright Ryan.
    I know that there are tons of things that run through ones head at a time like that, but I am curious why you didnt bump him with the car. I don't know that I would have myself without being in your shoes.. but I think that the idea would have popped in.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Because he was walking/jogging in places the car can't go. If I had it to do over again, I'd have done a lot of things differently, but he hit me hard enough to end up on top of me in the car and I didn't know it was coming. I wasn't exactly clear.

10. ruggerkc Experienced Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

North Liberty , IA
    Ratings:
    +183 / 3 / -0
    Did he ask you for some brake fluid first?

11. Wayne1

Wayne1 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just glad you are alright, it's amazing what dirtbags do for a little bit of cash.

12. DavidM199

DavidM199 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Posted By ruggerkc on 04/07/2008 3:08 PM
    Did he ask you for some brake fluid first?
    That is was funny casey. 
    But I am glad to hear that u are ok and that he didn't get to much of the money that i gave you on saturday

13. Lee

Lee Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow! $80 is definitely not worth risking your life for, you made the right move.