1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

News SNUBA

Discussion in 'News, Events & Fests' started by nrenn, Mar 15, 2017.

1. nrenn Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waverly, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    To anyone out on spring break right now: I went on a cruise to the Caribbean recently. If you're the type who wants to go SCUBA diving, but aren't certified, there is SNUBA. Same thing as SCUBA, but instead of wearing an airtank on your back, it floats in a raft and you're tethered to it with an air supply hose. Somehow this isn't regulated (yet) and anyone can do it. The 10 minute safety video and then away you go with your guides is kinda sketchy, but if you're confident you can keep your anxiety in check 30' underwater, without any prior training, its an awesome experience!

2. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    I can see this going poorly when some inexperienced diver gets the hose hung up on some reef.

3. nrenn Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waverly, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    I could see that, but we did have a dive guide in SCUBA gear with us who steered the raft around, and generally kept us a safe distance from any outcroppings and the like. Once I relaxed and got the breathing rhythm, I never had any concerns.

4. nrenn Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waverly, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    FYI: The whole thing was about 30 minutes doing snuba, and maybe an hour and a half snorkeling at your leisure while others took their turns. It was set up 3 divers to a raft, and an underwater photographer met you about halfway to take pictures you can buy off their website. I'm sure every location is different.
    Pro Tip: its a bit unnerving to strap lead weights on your body and then let yourself sink. You start the adventure by hanging on the side of your raft while everyone gets in the water, and as soon as you let go you will sink like a stone. Personally, I had trouble getting the breathing rhythm right while trying to stay near the surface. I found that if you lay out immediately, Superman style, you float much more easily and can stay near the surface until your body gets with the program.

I was at Stuart Cove, Nassau, Bahamas.
    Welcome to Stuart Cove's Newest Dive Operation at Old Bahama Bay Resort, West End, Grand Bahama Island, Bahamas