1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Snowflake Eel...now what?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nuccatree, Jul 30, 2009.

1. nuccatree

nuccatree

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    During my recent aquirement of a new tank, it came with a snowflake eel.  I have never had one and only really have kept pretty tame reef tanks.  However both my sons love this thing and it doesn't look like there will be a window to get rid of it.  My question is, what can I keep with it and how to take care of it.  Any suggestions would be great.

2. Troy

Troy Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I did have a snowflake eel once before and they are pretty tame for an eel. To answer your questions, you can keep anything that won't fit in its mouth basically. They are simple to care for, just feed a couple times a week. Personaly I would feed ghost shrimp, or pieces of raw shrimp, just don't over feed, it could cause a nitrate issue.

3. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    The only thing I have really heard is to have a tight fitting lid with a weight on it, otherwise you might find it in your bedroom sometime.

4. snowman82

snowman82 Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    why bedroom???? do they like to cuddle at night /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/wink.gif j/k

5. nuccatree

nuccatree

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Our naany would flip out if it flopped on the floor. snakes are a very bad word. Even if it jumped out while she was there, it would probably die as it would be hit multiple times with a broom. I have the tank sealed now. thanks for the input.

6. jtesdall

jtesdall Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    A snowflake will eat about anything it can get its mouth on. They don't tend to be real fast though so you can keep that in mind. For instance, they most probably will not catch a wrasse unless it is sleeping. Just like with any fish keep a varied diet in mind. Mine loves thawed frozen shrimp, octopus and squid. If you feed ghost shrimp either add further vitamins or don't feed tham all that ften. They aren't very nutritious for salt water fish just very appealing because they are alive.

7. matt1971 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I went to wal-mart and bought the smallest diameter wood dowel they carry in the craft section for about a dollar. I think they are at least three feet long. Then I stick one end in a pencil sharpener to make a point, or use a knife to widdle a point. I get meaty items from the frozen seafoods section, such as the small shrimp or squid. Cut, microwave to thaw enough for piercing, wash well, put on the stick and dangle in from of their mouth. Mine will eat once a week until stuffed...sometimes a 21 piece shrimp dinner! Very easy and inexpensive.

8. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    mine loves frozen and freeze dried krill. he will come out of the water about 3 inches and eat right from my hand. but if you do this becareful they do have sharp teeth and don't like to let go, found that out the hard way LOL