1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Smouse School Tank * official Thread*

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nik, Mar 31, 2013.

1. GoodGreef Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clive, IA
    Ratings:
    +239 / 2 / -0

I have 20lbs unopened bag of Arag-Alive Caribsea Special Grade (Seaflor) you can have for it. Ordered too much for my tank and decided I didn't need the "alive" stuff to seed with as I got some live sand from another member.

2. Nik Experienced Reefkeeper

Windsor Heights
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Thanks!! Let me know when I can come get it.

3. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    I'll have to check again and make sure they are still in there, the goby tends to hide so I hardly ever see him /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/smile.gif

4. Nik Experienced Reefkeeper

Windsor Heights
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Thanks we are moving it back in Saturday, and no I did not get it....

5. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    I know you don't have the pair yet...I just haven't seen them in a while and I wanted to make sure they were still alive LOL

6. Nik Experienced Reefkeeper

Windsor Heights
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

I meant I did not get the email notification /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

7. Nik Experienced Reefkeeper

Windsor Heights
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Just a quick update.

I got the tank set back up last month and have been battling a cloudy issue evry since. With the GREAT help of Terri (Sponge) on Sat. it is now almost clear and much better!! /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gifThanks Terri!!/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/w00t.gif.She also donated a RBTA and the will be going in this week!

I have added numeous fish from Sean sblomgren) Thanks for the great deal and all the food!! I will be donating some of the food to Central Campus as well.

Now the bad news. I found out Sat. that ONCE AGAIN I have to completley tear down the tank and get everything out for the summer in May /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/crazy.gif/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/mad.gif, it really is getting old but what can you do right. Therefore I am not going to be adding a lot of coral this year. I will however add some to my frag tank and at least try and get some growth going for next year. They are going to add some updates to the electrical that I have requested for years so that is good.

I am in the process of getting a webcam installed so we can all see it./DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif.

In the mean time here are some pictures.

/Portals/0/capital%20lending%20016.JPG/Portals/0/capital%20lending%20017.JPG/Portals/0/capital%20lending%20018.JPG/Portals/0/capital%20lending%20019.JPG/Portals/0/capital%20lending%20020.JPG/Portals/0/capital%20lending%20021.JPG

8. Nik Experienced Reefkeeper

Windsor Heights
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

If you are still willing to help I could use someone to help with water changes./DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/cool.gif. Zach was helping but can not any longer. I do them every 2 weeks so if you could do 1 a month that would help a great deal as I work in retail and am starting to get really busy with the holiday season. Let me know, if not no biggie I know you are extremly busy as well.

Also, any one else that could help would be great! If we could get 3 or 4 people doiung them it would only be evry 6-8 weeks each. I can supply salt water if needed.

9. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    Nick, do you think that this will be the last time they have to tear down the tank, or is this going to turn into a yearly type of thing?

10. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I would tell them they are on their own if they are going to keep this hassle up

11. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Or find another school that will take it and care for it without the hassle

12. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    Craig I would agree, except that when you find out what kind of effect the tank has on kids at that particular school, i think it would be a pretty bad thing to just walk away from it and say it's their problem.

It's the reefkeepers in us that want to keep it a reef tank. But I think functionally we may have to step back and realize that it is just too much to keep up, given the situation.

My recommendation is that we stop thinking about this tank as a reef system and start treating it as a FOWLR with decorative corals. I'm talking about stuff like Smooth-on. I know a guy who works at Smooth-on and I can approach him to see if they would be willing to cut the club a deal on some supplies. Then we could make it a regional event for anyone who wants to learn how to use the product, and we could all make some fake corals to put into the Smouse tank.

Going down that road would allow the tank to be a lot easier to maintain. Then when we get a more stable long-term plan in place, maybe start doing things to make the tank grow out.

The tank is never going to be good for coral growth until it is allowed to set in for a good solid year. Then, it needs to be able to stay there without being torn down again or else the whole process starts over. So we need to stop putting any corals in the tank that are not super easy things like softies, maybe a few LPS and easy SPS but nothing more.

All that being said, if they can't give us a solid long term location and commit to a plan that says they are not going to need it moved due to summer construction, then maybe we do have to start considering an alternate location. But I think that should be the last resort.

13. Nik Experienced Reefkeeper

Windsor Heights
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    This will be the last time it has to be tore down I confirmed. They Are also working on a possible solution so that I can leave it there this summer, that would be great!

14. Armydog

Armydog Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    I guess I didn't know it was a lifetime commitment to the tank when it was donated to them. I'm not against donations at all i do it all the time bit when I donate a coral for example I don't go to the person's house to take care of it for them. I hope the extensive time taken on this tank is some kind of write off or something.

15. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    I wonder if this would be a good thing for central campus students maybe like a project for them /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/smile.gif. If they would be willing to do so.

16. Nik Experienced Reefkeeper

Windsor Heights
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    A great big thanks to Air, Water and Ice! They donated the following:
    DI Resin
    Sediment and carbon filters
    Dual inline TDS meter
    Fast flush ball valve 75gpd
    float valve
    PSI Gauge

17. Nik Experienced Reefkeeper

Windsor Heights
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

I commited to helping maintain this tank. I did not know it was going to be as involved as it has become. But I do it because I love it and I live 2 blocks away/DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/biggrin.gif. Seeing the reaction of the kids makes it all worth it. They have taken kids that are in a "rage" and set them in front of the tank and they calm right down. It truly is amazing. I have helped with Central Campus, Smouse, Boone HS, and many GIRS members. It is all well worth it, I have also learned much along the way. Central Campus students have and would come help when-ever I ask

.If you would like to donate any corals, I am starting to stock it again now that it looks like it will stay in place from now on./DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

18. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Do they have frogspawns, starpolyps? Also I could donate some zoas and spongeode

19. Nik Experienced Reefkeeper

Windsor Heights
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    They do not Donny. Any all donations would be great! They do have a few zoas but I am looking at going zoa heavy tere since they seem to do well in this tank. I had a refractometer go bad and killed all of mine and most of their coral due to the salt level falling to 1.014 or so /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/sad.gif, so I am restocking now.

Thanks!!

20. Nik Experienced Reefkeeper

Windsor Heights
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Major updates coming soon!!!

For now I need to thank a few people.

Beckerj3 - coral!! Thanks!!

Dave Coral!! Thanks!!

Sponge - sand, supplies and coral. THANKS!!

Violet21chewy _ coral!! Thanks!!

Armydog - coral! Thanks!!

Air, water and Ice tons of ro filters and related equipment!1 Thanks!!

Really hope I did not forget anyone....